employee doing TOO GOOD of a job...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

these guys are great, wonderful, excellent. but sometimes they are TOO GOOD. first of all, they have a habit of weedwacking "wall to wall", what i mean by this.., ok it's hard to explain, they go around the entire perimiter of the property, even the areas where i AM ABLE to get with the mower.let me give an example: when you have beds, and you can get to the edges with the end of the mower, why do you need to weedwack there? this takes more time, and beats on the crew,the wackers, and, it's unnecesary. also, we edge every other week, WITH A REAL EDGER, not with a weedwacker. but i am CONSTANTLY having to tell them not to edge with the wacker. they seem to think every other week with the edger means, on alternate weeks you do it with the wacker. now, when i tell them to STOP, and follow the instructions they were given, they get an attitude, and start doing a bad job wacking (missing areas that need it, etc). i understand they just want to do an a+ job, but the job still is a+ if you don't wack every edge. it drives me nuts when they "flat top" every edge. for the life of me, i don't know why people go around the edges of the walkways and "flat top" the edges. it looks stupid, and is time consuming. these guys are so good, that if i tell them i don't want it done like this, what they do i move that much faster, to still do it, but be within my time frame. input?

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

When you are on a crew and you get into a rythum of how you cut yards its annoying to have to change. Why not edge every week. What would it hurt, the yard looks the same every time you leave, and your crew isn't bothered by over management. Its hard to find "very good" lawn crews. Send them down here, I know alot of companys that need people who do good work. We always switched positions at each yard, so someone wouldn't have to be stuck on a trimmer all day that included me. Its a small thing I know but when its 95 degrees and youve cut 25 yards the last thing is to be bothered by trivial things. If they are doing good client pleasing work, let them be. Tell they how good of a job their doing and see what happens. Good luck

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, It is extremelly rare to find guys willing to work HARD, let alone go above and beyond the call of duty. I agree about the "flat topping" deal where people will use a trimmer flat around beds that have an edge.

But still, you're the boss, if they don't wanna follow instructions, tell em' you know some guys like Joey bag of donuts that are even more menaceing than you and the shovel on a bad day, after too many Silver Bullets.. :D

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Bobbygedd,

I think you are trying to over-manage your workers. Try to put yourself in their shoes. Would you want someone second guessing and critisizing everything you do?

Let them do the job the way they think it should be done. For crying out loud, it isn't rocket science...it's lawn mowing. If customers complain, analyze the complaint. Is the complaint valid or is the customer a PITA? If the complaint is valid ONLY THEN do you tell the employee how to do a certain task.

That's how I do things and it works fine for me. I get very few complaints.

When you try to over-manage or micro-manage an employee it is only going to make them dislike you and despise the job. That is not a good thing, especially if they have the keys to your truck and all your equipment.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Do they use the mowers? Do they know just how the mowers handle on the props? Its one thing to walk around and say do this dont do that but if you put them on the mowers and on the props in question ocasionally it may help things out. That way they could see what does and doesnt need to be done.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with who said workers like to do the yards the same way everytime. I do my yards the same way/pattern everytime. The job is easier and less tireing because you are not thinking about it has much.
    Consider yourself lucky:

I had an employee who would run out the string as fast as he could so he could meticiously clean the head of the trimmer while all the time taking a smoke break.
    One who jumped out of the truck and weedeated the wrong driveway and zig zagged that!!! to the dirt!!
    One who just went around in circles blowing drives. Blowing to one end and then back the same way LOL :realmad:
    2 who drove my bushhog off into ditches for no good reason
    1 who wrecked the truck trailor etc
    1 who ran over a mop and of course it wrapped around the blades

I could go on but you get the picture. This is why I have no employees. I swear I was hoarse at the end of every day yelling at them. Charles has a temper in real life lol

7. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Hey Bobby...send them up here. I can't get my guys to work the trimmer or edger correctly. I didn't really think that its rocket science but apparently trimming is a very difficult process...no matter how many times I've told him hi still can't get it right ALL the time only most of the time.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i want it done my way period. the lawn gets mowed and wacked every week, and machine edged every OTHER VISIT. no need to run the wackers 2-3 times longer than neccesary. it burns more fuel, it's bad for the wackers, the operators, and my time management.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Simple. Explain to them what you want done. Then have them tell you back what you just told them. If they don't get it right, do it again and again and again. Period

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You sure don't hear of employees doing the job too well very much these days. Unless they are wasting alot of time I'd let them go. Your next employee with pobably have the opposite problem of not doing enough so don't run them off. If you have to correct them do it in a nice considerate way to let them know you appreciate the hard work.