employee driving your truck

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by afftandem, Jan 6, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

they are covered under my insurance...right?... not like renting a car and their insurance.. or is it??.... how much liability should i put on my truck for commercial lawn care?? what are you guys paying for a truck, trailer, and employee driving?? how much liability should i carry?? whose a good company?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it a personal policy or a company policy if its company then yes they are covered if its personal and your using it for business well thatÂ’s a grey area and you may not be covered.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

My insurance company requires the employees that drive my trucks to submit to a drivers license check. My rates are low because the insurance company is careful about who they approve. I use Erie Mutual.

4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

im using State Auto Ins. for both my GL, WC and Commercial Auto... they want to know who it is and they do a bg check as well as driving check on them they give the OK on them driving. im also picky of who to let drive as well i usually have them work for a few days b4 putting them behind the wheel to kinda feel them out, unless you can "just tell" that they will be ok. ur best bet is going to be to call and talk to ur ins agent. If your going to be having someone else drive ur truck and its a personal insurance then i would get it the highest as possible coverage trust me you will want to be cover commercial insurancer though is alot different it automatically covers up to 1mil anything after that you have on a basis need.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I use Erie also. They have great rates. Erie was cheaper then my old personal liability policy. I already had Erie for business, but had to wait a year before they would insure my truck. I was shocked to find out that they would insure me with a commercial full coverage plan for a few dollars cheaper then my old plan (which was personal liability only). I highly recommend them.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Where can I find out more about this Erie Mutual? I looked them up on the web but I just found a fire insurance place in Ontario. It didn't seem like they were a national company at all. Am I looking at the right company?

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Erie Insurance Group

http://www.erie-insurance.com/

They only insure in these states though:
    District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia....

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like we're out of luck Jim.