1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

employee employment ideas??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have had the good, the bad and those that were worth gold. Problem is no one stays around very long. Last bunch of guys were great but...guy 1 had issues drinking - 2nd owi, jail time, fines, no more driving for at least a year I let him go...he was worse than chasing after my kids. Guy 2 also had 1 owi, and then multipal driving tickets, dark tint, excessive accearlation, no lic plates, no seat belts, suddenly he lost his lic due to to many tickets and owi in the last couple month.

Now what to you guys do for wages? Benefit plan? Salary? I need ideas cuz summer is coming fast!

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you might need to put a little more effort into your hiring process in order to increase your chances of hiring employees who will be a good fit for your company.

You are the one who makes the decision to hire. Don't make the decision to hire until you have acquired a reasonable assurance that the candidate sitting in front of you is the right person for the position you have available.

Get a few books on hiring employees/conducting interviews/managing your employees.

Here is a list of books I recommend:

How To Become A Skillful Interviewer by Randi Toler Sachs
    How To Hire The Right Person by Denis L. Cauvier
    Hire Your First Employee by Rhonda Abrams
    The Manager's Book of Questions - "751 Great Interview Questions For Hiring The Best Person" by John Kador
    The One Minute Manager (this is a series of books) by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson
    Everyone's A Coach by Don Shula and Ken Blanchard
    Managing For Results by Peter Drucker
    Management Basics by John & Shirley Payne
    13 Fatal Errors Managers Make And How To Avoid Them by W. Steven Brown
    Leadership Secretes From The Executive Office by George Hathaway
    The E-Myth by Michael E. Gerber