1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee Equipment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tdf, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

What is better ( tank or ride on) from the stand point of having other people working your business. Seems a tank sprayer would be better.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The tank sprayer is harder for employee's to tear up! and the PG is a very hot mix so you have to know what your doing, especially if your mixing the weed-control as you go!
  3. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

It seems that all the employee would have to worry about is equally spraying the whole lawn instead of hunting for weeds and then spraying them. Lets face it, finding a knowledgable person who knows about lawn care and can identify weeds/ grassy weeds who doesn't want his own business is very hard. On the other hand, finding someone you can train to go to a property and evenly spray, post a sign and leave may be a bit easier. What do you guys think?

Thanks, TF
  4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I can train people to do the job,the problem is keeping them I'm tired of training
    people and then they quit. I'm looking at down sizing so i can do it myself
    I use the PG and don't have problem with training.
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of work load will you need an employee to carry?
    if you need to treat 200,000sf per day pulling a hose will wear a person down whereas riding a machine will not.

When I started in this industry 20 something years ago thats all we had...a hose attached to a large tanker truck plus a push spreader. Even then employees would quit because it aint as easy as it looks. Todays work force is even more lazy in my opinion. So thats something to consider as well.

How big of a tank will you need? Having an employee driving around hauling 300 galllons of pesticide could be a concern if there is an accident (refer to the trugreen smashes truck thread)

On the other hand...if you can keep an employee busy treating less than 100,000sf per day a tank may be a better way to go. But no matter what you will need to train the person. Also many folks look at someone who is spraying a lawn as the polluter of the earth and may as questions...you dont want someone who can only shrug his shoulders and say "i dont know"

decisions decisions
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Right now my guys are working their butts off. Our 300 gallon pickup units tank out after 150,000 s/f, then they often refill another 100 gallons or so to spray lawns close by. Our 800 gallon tanker truck sprays the big lawns, and they too come back in to put more gallons in and go back out to spray more.

My guys all realize that this is our "fall push". It takes responsible employees with a team effort to get the job done.

As far as employees tearing up equipment........it's hard to break a 300 gallon Tuflex tank with a 5.5 Honda & D-30 Hypro w/ 400 foot hose. My 2 cents.
  7. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with amerlawn PG are not going to take alot of abuse. I know what it
    was like with out it so i take care of it but,it is my business. I could not
    pull a hose all summer and a push spreader so wouldn't want anyone else too.