Employee free cuts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 9, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

We are about to add our first part time employee. This process has been a lot more expensive then figured! However in order to make employees happy we thought about giving employees a free weekly cutting as a benifit any else do this? Possiable something stating 1 acre or less.....
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think it would be a good benifit for your employee and it won't take long with everyone doing it together. If he is a trusted employee and you don't want to help him do this, you might think about letting him at least use your equipment to do his lawn. Just another option. :)
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I pick up my #1 helper. If he wants to use the equipment over night , he's more than welcome. I don't help him cut his own lawn.
  4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started doing this back in 1985 my partner and I would mow my Mom's lawn (townhouse) once a week at no charge. The boss didn't complain because we always stopped by on our way out in the morning to see her anyway. I figured it was paid back in to "the Company" by less down time for lunch during the day.

What does it have to do with lunch you ask??? You see, Mom being the sweet lady she is, made lunch for the crew every day. The boss KNEW WHERE HIS BREAD WAS BUTTERED (pun intended) and he was not about to mess that up!

I think it should be an acceptable "fringe benefit" to let him use the stuff to cut his grass.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I think that would be a great benefit for an employee.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

In the summer I let them cut their lawns, fall I vac their leaves (they rake) and winter they can do their driveway since they bring the trucks home. I give them this trust and they are good employees. I do keep my eyes open though.
  7. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

One thing that I would have in place before you start this is a VERY CLEARLY worded policy about using their equipment for their own property only. I would have something in place to deal with what happens if a neighbor asks them to do it at the same time (ie, a paying customer).
    Some employees would be tempted to try to make the extra cash and not tell you about it. Been there, had that happen.

8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I think I will set this up. The guy we are going to hire is a trusted freind working another full time job and will help us out only 1-2 days. he works a weeekend shift, we can not really offer greatpay $8.00 hour, and he was fine with this so I thought why not he is helping us his yard is pretty small, however I wanted to be far if we hire someone else too.
  9. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

When I first started working for a man that had a lawncare buss. he offered the use of his walkbehind/blower/trimmer (Deere 17 HP hydro 54") for me to cut my yard. It really surprized me....I never would have done it, cause I wouldn't want to be responsible if something happened to them. But, I did appriciate the thought..It was a good feeling knowing he trusted me enough.