Employee & Friend Passes Away

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Jul 28, 2004.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started my business in 1999 and hired a helper in the spring of 2000. Jim turned out to be a very good worker and had a extremely positive attitude towards my business. He and I became good friends and would hang out after work and on weekends and soon he was like part of my family. Having him work with me gave me a certain confidence in the amount and quality of work we could do, as we work so well together. Well, I am sorry to say that Jim was killed in a auto accident 6 weeks ago. I know that I must go on with my business as it is my living, but work has not been the same since. I have been working alone since his death and I am struggling to keep up with the work load and quality as well. I really need to hire someone else, but I am not sure if I am ready to try to fill Jim's shoes just yet. He would want me to succeed and grow as he was always pumped to get new clients and make propertys look great. He treated it as it was his business at times and never complained about any task he was given. Well thank you for letting me vent as I felt I needed to post in memory of my friend. James A. Plant Sept 20, 1966-June 3,2004

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sorry to hear that, I really am. Hire someone ASAP, like, yesterday. Don't burn yourself out. You MUST put your business first, or you will come in last.

Again, sorry for your loss. Keep up the great work.

~Nest

3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

A freind and a coworker like that is hard to find. I know, I've been trying for 20 yrs.

You won't find another Jim. But, I know it'll work out for you...

It's time for you to move on...good luck man.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sorry to here it.......................

I hope you find another good quality employee,they are tough to find sometimes.

I will reiterate what others have said though............Jim would want you to keep moving forward from what you have said,so.....................................
    Best wishes,
    Dave

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your loss....:(

6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to thank you guys for your thoughts. I will actively be looking to hire someone this coming week. Thanks again

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

No one will ever fill Jim's shoes but I hope that you find closure and that you'll remember his memory forever.

Dennis & Jille

8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Friends shoes can never be filled, but you can hire help. I'm sure you'll miss him everyday, but let that be the pain you suffer, don't beat yourself up trying to do the job of 2 men. Good Luck.

9. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I had a real hard time filling my partner's shoes over 4 years ago. I felt like noone could do the job like he could. It sure wasn't any fun w/o him. I felt like quitting. I pressed on, went through several helpers and now have 4 full timers & 1 part timer. The business has done over $200k in sales last year.

There is hope...you can do it.