Employee/Friend Quit!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, May 8, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

So the employee is actually one of my good friends. He came to me about a month and a half ago when he quit his retail security job and asked if he could come to work. I had alot of big landscaping and spring clean ups lined up so I said sure. I paid him cash daily all under the table, and no ohter LCO in town pays employees as much as I was paying him, but he was a friend. I payed $12-15 an hour depending on the landcape job and $7.50 a yard mowing. When we mowed he could make $15-$30 an hour depending on locations and all he had to do was run the trimmer and when I was done on the Z I'd help with the trimming and edging and then he'd blow it off. Since he assured me he wanted to work all summer I started gaining new accounts and I have a very large bid in for a county complex.

What really makes this sh*t worse is that he quit the day my daughter was born. It was a Thursday and I called to let him know that we would be work on Friday as its my busiest day. I left him a voicemail and at 9 PM he sends me a text message saying he got a job with a local furniture company (Only $9 an hour) on the delivery truck, the same sh8t he did before and quit because he's a big guy and they all ways make him move the heavy stuff.

So now I'm behind and it keeps raining. I'm just pissed off b/c now my name is out there and now I have to figure out a way to make good on it. The only real plus is that I had a few complaints about his trimming so at least now I have that fixed. Just needed to vent.

2. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Put an add in the paper and hire someone and dont look back. Hiring friends is kinda of a no no. you wind losing an employee and friend. Maybe you can find a day laborer.

3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of Luck. I never hire family or friends, I learned the hard way too. Keep in contact with your customers notify them that you are behind, thats the only thing you can do they will appreciate the attention.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should look for two guys one full and one part time until you get caught up.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want a friend if there gonna treat me like that. In my area its impossible to find decent help, They show up one monday and then their a no show the rest of the week. I think I'm just gonna try and stay solo maybe 40-50 Yards and the county job and just stick to mowing and pass on the new installs and big landscaping gigs.

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

WE had that mentality last few years regarding passing up the landscape install work. Then we found out a good install is equivalent or better than a YEAR LONG seasonal customer. Now, we have fewer customers and more landscaping jobs making much more money.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's like that for me with customers who never spend a nickel above and beyond the absolute least they can get away with. In most cases it's crap lots but not always, either way I used to work my tail off figuring like yourself that I was doing them a favor and so it would come back my way... Sure enough, come that day when they decide to spend some real money, and they call someone else.

Sad world, not sure if it's just that people are ill-mannered...
    I used to firmly believe it was, but more and more I'm thinking it's that Yin-yang nonsense.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Not a very good friend sounds like to me. No good friend would do that to you on the day your daughter was born and with no notice at all. That is a jerk not a friend.

9. rainandmow

rainandmow LawnSite Member

Your in Jacksonville NC! Try finding help from the Marines on the base, or the kids of some career Marines. Cost effective, dependable. Good Luck.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What happened sucks... but I assure you it is also a blessing.

NEVER, and I mean NEVER pay an employee that way again.

For one, it's not above board, and worse still is that it leaves you wide open should anything ever happen.