Employee got heat exhaustion - Worker's Comp

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wrestlingcoach, Aug 21, 2005.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Employee (23 yr old ex-college wrestler) was working by himself and got dehydrated and heat exhaustion, throwing up super hot. He looked horrible. He said he was drinking but didn't take a lunch.
    I sent him to a medical center and he was given two i-vies. Felt great immediately.

So I called the center and asked how much $328 for everything. So then I had to figure which was the better for the company pay it out of pocket or let worker's comp cover it and the rate goes up (i thought I would be paying double for years to come).

Called workers' comp and actually talked to the underwriter and she said the loss ratio was on abou 35% ( total premium $1000) and that my rates would not go up. She also said that rates aren't looked at until you become unprofitable.

SO make sure you have worker's comp!
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

You paid $1000 to save $328? I understand the value of workers comp, but this is NOT a good story to illustrate those benefits.

3. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

The total amount he paid for the year to Workers Comp. was $1,000.00.

He claimed the $328.00 bill under workmans comp.
  4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I am aware of that. How is that different then what I said?

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe not, but this case could have easily progressed into heatstroke, which could have resulted in a hospital admission and a couple of days in the ICU, which would have resulted in a bill of $10,000+.
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No, he paid $1000 for a whole year's worth of worker's comp. that will potentially save him from dozens of $328.00 or more injuries.

And I don't think his point was that he saved $328.00. I think his point was that normally most employers are afraid to make a worker's comp. claim. So they often agree to pay cash for minor doctor visits, etc. so that the rates won't skyrocket. So Coach's point was this - don't be afraid to make a small claim. It's not going to raise your rate.

But if you're looking for an illustration of how worker's comp. saves you money, I'll give you one;

Last summer I had a kid working for me (19 yrs. old) and he was moving a boulder out of the ground and he tore up his shoulder. After $18,000 in surgery and $12,000 in wages he was paid for the 7 months that he was recovering, the couple thousand in premiums I paid for Worker's Comp. last year seemed like peanuts.

So get your workers comp ASAP!
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A week after getting WC my employee turned his ankle as he slid on some gravel. After 3 YEARS he still has problems. He got ligament adn NERVE damage. The nerve damage makes it itch all the time (along with the pain). He was able to work 1/2 time thru that year, if that. Last estimate I saw of total payout for medical, rehab and lost wages, was around 30-40k.

Yes he paid $1000 (earlier in the year probably) to prevent the $328 or what could have been $30-$40,000 and possible loss of his business.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi wrestlingcoach,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure others have found themselves in the same position as you and were not sure how to handle it.
    <table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

insurence involves too many "it could have's" and, "but what if's". there is no way to determine wether or not your wc ins was in fact a good investment, till the year is over. if the year goes by, and this was the only incident, then you are at a loss of $600+ something bucks.
  10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Isn't all insurance that way? I know that in NH WC is manditory and there are steep fines if you have employees and they are not covered. I look at it a just another cost of doing business.