Employee Handbooks in Spanish?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by jondcoleman, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used a professional translation service to translate an employee handbook? I have looked a little bit online and everything seems to be really pricey. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Jon Coleman
    CLIP Lawn Care
    Maryland, USA

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

translation services are not cheap. just remember that its a one time fee...Iwould find a service local if possible and start building a relationship.

Multilingua Translation Service
    8059 Prelude Ln
    Jessup, MD 20794-9108
    (301) 317-9039

Just keep in mind that some immigrants lack basic reading skills, even in their own language....so your employee handbook will most likely end up in the garbage much sooner....

The VA, MD DC LCA has access to bi lingual publications, maybe you can get some of those to incorporate into your manual, saving you some expense.

3. FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA LawnSite Member

Try using the microsoft.com site to download translation services in Word. after typing the handbook in english, go to the tools drop down and pick the language and then translate and it directs you to the microsoft.com site to download the translating tool. see if that helps you it should save a lot of money.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I would not trust any online or software translation. I did that a few times times and then I let my wife (who is a fluent spanish speaker) read it. I had never seen her laugh so hard.

The programs never quite get it right...

How big is your handbook? I might be able to get my wife to look it over for ya.....

5. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

It is pretty big right now but I am editing it and sizing it down. Thanks for the offer and I may let you know when I get finished editing it.

6. FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA LawnSite Member

The handbook isn't really big and i'm just starting to look into the hiring process for the mexican labor force but thanks for the offer. I only know from working with word that it's a tool there but i'll keep it in mind if we are able to get into the h2b program.

7. AndrewsLawnRanger

AndrewsLawnRanger LawnSite Member
    from PA

i am currently taking a spanish class that is called "Command Spanish for the landscape and nursery industery" we are goin over any thing from hiring to firing to tools, equipment how to use and basic phrases. the class was $130.00 which included a large book and 3 cds to listen too. it is well worth it

andrew

8. martinslandscaping

martinslandscaping LawnSite Member