employee help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bilelt9411, Mar 12, 2005.

1. bilelt9411

bilelt9411 LawnSite Member

One of my employee's just ask me if it was alright if he picks up yards to do on sunday ( our only day off in the summer ) what do you think about employees competeing against you for business.

2. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Never Fire Him

3. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I always mention to my employess the expense of actually running a business; insurance, workers comp, accounting fees. To stop this kind of behavior I started a bonus plan for my guys picking up extra lawns for me. I give them half of the first mowing cost for a new monthy customer after the customer pays the first bill. This has sparked the boys to talk to people on the side about using my services. If they can sell a few extra yards it can be a nice little bonus for them.
    I agree, I wouldn't fire him, he seems to be the type that is looking for something extra and would be come competition. Make it worth his while to stick around and help build your business.

4. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

At least he had the decency to ask you if it was ok if he did.Most others wouldnt even bother and just go do it.

5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I would encourage him if he is serious. That is he means to set up his own business and pay taxes. It could be very useful to be able to decide when employee X is an employee and when he is a sub-contractor. Otherwise pay him a bonus on the extra work he turns over to you.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Not a good idea I think. Soon he will be getting more and more. Kind of like that old saying once that bear gets a taste for blood now hes a man eater, or something like that LOL. I think once he gets a taste of all the money going to him then he will think why do I need to be working for someone else. I use a bonus plan like Mountain Peak said. This is a good plan it keeps them happy while gaining business for me. Thers too much competition out there without creating some more.

7. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

It never works. Pretty soon he'll be calling in sick to take a M - F yard clean up on his own. If he wants to start a business tell him:

1. Save money
    2. Advertise
    3. Get together some equipment
    4. Start plugging away

As long as he's working for you, he should be working for you.

8. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had guys do work for my exisisting customers that I wasnt very happy about. One guy arranged to be paid on the side for killing moles (a service we dont offer). I told him he should have asked me first and I dipped my beak in his profits. He was charging like $35 a mole so I made him pay me $20 a mole and told him not to do it again.

Also there is legal precedent to support employers who have employees become competitors, even without no-compete contracts. Employees have a fudiciary responsiblility to put the employer first. Your employee is doing the right thing by asking your permission. I would tell him to stay off my turf and far from my customer base.

9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Conflict of Interest. Give incentive for getting lawns for you. I also give your employee a lot of credit for coming to you first.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think that it's nice he asked you first, but can you dictate what he does on his day (Sunday) off? I don't think so.