Employee Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob T, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Thought this may be an intresting topic.

I'm sure most of us have a story about an employee somewhere in the course of our business who did something stupid, ignorant or just wrong.

Here's a few of mine...

1) Hired a guy who was an alcoholic. I had no idea, I figured he was just bring lunch...NO! He brought a cooler full of BEER every day. He worked for me for 2 months. When I found out he was fired on the spot!

2) An employee of mine harassed one of our "better looking" lady customers. Insisted she give him a bottle of whiskey and they have a drink together. He supposedly pushed his way into the house and went through the cabinets. The whole time he was making passes at her.

3) A friend, who also owns a lawn business, told me he had a guy that went down into the city each morning and picked up a few young (-16) kids. This guy would get these kids to mow the lawns that HE was supposed to be mowing; meanwhile he was out at the bar. My buddy had no idea till he got a call from a customer one day. She was wondering if these kids were old enough to be on a DC. She said she was about to call the labor dept. on him.

Those are some of the worst. What are some of your stories?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I work solo now, but i used to work for another local professional company. Well, they hired this guy one day, and on the second day we were mowing a large condo complex. It was wicked hot, and I was line trimming with this guy. I turned around and he was gone. He comes back wearing his boxers and nothing else! I was like "what on earth are you doing"? I wasnt the boss so kept working. Later that day, the guy ripped his boxers in half and had to run back to the truck to put the pants on. Well, i think he got yelled at but not fired. The next week we were mowing a condo complex 30 min away from the shop. This guy was supposed to start line trimming while we mowed. We came back to the truck and the line trimmer was sitting there, and he was gone. He got ticked he had to line trim his 1st week of work and walked away. have no idea how he got home. He came in for his check and told the boss he quit, cause the foreman told him to line trim and he didnt want to. What an idiot!~

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I had a guy once that got mad at me because I was cutting and he was trimming. He said it wasn't fair. He wanted to do the cutting because it was only "fair" since he was my partner. I calmly asked, Partner? I must have misplaced your $20,000 check for half of everything. As soon as the check clears the bank I'll let you cut.

4. You know there are people that specialize in taking low paying jobs who are not in the game for no $9 per hour. I have a good friend who is the only man I know who can take a job making onliy $9 an hour and still manage to bankrupt the compaines he works for an still make quite a bit of change in the process. But you can't do it working for the owner of a company, you have to work for the manager.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

HUH?

6. lawn chopper

Amazin that all i can say again you amazin :laugh:

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Amazing isn't the word I was thinking about.

8. me to hoss but i wanted to be diplomatic

9. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

We had a lady working for us (well, more of a girl of 16) who ran into a concrete picknick table so hard she broke it in half. Did not bother to tell us, we got to find out the next day from the homeowner, and she said she never noticed hitting it.

My wife was out for about 4 months after she had our son, She did mow 8 yards the day she had him, (the nurse thought I was kidding as I told her to up that Pitossin drip, she had 4 left to do the next morning!!!!!) and we had a really great employee, but god was it bad on equipment and damages without my wife there.

She backs out of this very bad and difficult driveway and removes a full 50' of chainlink fence. I go out and replace it that weekend, she goes back the next week and removes the new fence!!!! Think I was aggravated? I cannot remember how many sets of trailer lights they broke off (about 12 comes to mind) I was very glad when Hanna went back out with them!!!!!!

And yea, my son still falls asleep when you ride him on a mower!

Al B

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I was solo until this spring, when I had to hire 3 employees all part time to get my through. The first one quit, the second called in a few times, then one day just didnt show. I figured, "okay, shes quit, good." Then the next day she showed up again like nothing happened! "Um, You're Fired".
    The third was actually a good worker. The only thing he did that really pissed me off was the day he ran my Lazer over the corner of my trailer gate and proceded to mow through the mesh and weld. GRRRRR. I was pretty ticked. Anywho, I was about to lay him off for the summer when it got back to the point where I could handle the work again (was accepting no more) and he quit, said he was moving to CALI. He came back the next week or so, but I couldnt use him.

HE MOWED MY TRAILER!