Employee hung over today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jun 10, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my workers had way to much fun last night and came to work with a hang over today. This isn't the norm for him. I'll give some grace here but he didn't hold his weight on the job site - he was slow and I had to be on his a$$ the entire day.

I had a talk with him about it. My question is, should I pay him at a lower rate because he worked at a slower pace?

What would/have you do/done???

kc

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would have sent him home and see how he likes not having much money at the end of the week!!!!:nono:

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Lower rate? I think that would open you up to problems. I would have sent his arse home. A employee with a bad hangover is almost as dangerous as a drunk employee on the job. Their judgemnt is too impaired to be working. But I think lowering his pay would cause you more problems legally.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Jump his a$$ in private, let him know your not stupid. I.E. you got me this time, dogging it all damn day, but it wont happen again, it does and you and I will discuss your future or lack thereof employment with my company.
    I had the "come to Jesus" meeting with a couple of employees earlier in the season. Glad I did, it got their attention and achieved the desired results. I let it be known that I can be a fair and easy to get along with guy, but you try and put it to me you will see a whole 'nother side of me.
    I don't pay people to dog it, I pay them to work, end of story.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If he was driving or if an equipment accident would've happened, it could very easily come out that he was under the influence. And yes, many of times if someone is hung over, there is still plenty of alchohol in their system.

6. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i would have sent him home, being hung over is a sure sign that he is going to be dogging it all day. plus the liability of intoxicated fool on a job site with your name on it. no way

7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear its not the norm for him, i think he would have suffered enough, he must be a good worker to turn up at all, its not his fault he was slow his mate Jim beams to blame, don't dock his pay have a quiet word to him as to how dissapointed you were, say that some bosses would dock his pay but you won't because he is a good worker as long as there is no repeat in the future.

Any more problems in the future you will have to come down harder on him, a shovel may knock some sense into him:laugh:

8. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

This will happen from time to time. Just send 'em on home...aside from the liability issues, you dont want an employee who reeks of alcohol around clients.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Caber :laugh: :laugh:

If it was the first time, I would have a heart to heart talk, and send him home, especially if he were operating equipment .They only get two strikes with me, strike two and he's out for good.

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank God the clients were out of town. We worked at 2 of their 3 homes today. Yes, they have 3 homes all located within miles of each other. The 2 we were working at are for out of town guests.

kc