1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee incentives, etc.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CK82, Apr 3, 2009.

1. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Its all worth it, once you find that GOLDEN employee.:D
  2. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I understand a point system could get confusing, Im not going to make it that, way. Instead having points which relate to bonuses at the months end give the employees incentive to do good. I dont see how that would be illegal. They would get there normal hourly, a bonus is "extra or above and beyond" and its not required. Correct me if Im wrong. For minor things I most likely wouldnt deduct any points, I just feel this would help control unconsious mistakes with damaging equipment and the more major problems and inefficiency employees cause. I do buy lunch periodically, and have given them money for boots and what not. I guess something is better than nothing, anything you give them they will just expect more even when there doing less.

I understand the concept of bonuses and what not, I am just trying to find a good set in stone program that they can see and I can see. That way its not just me as the employer giving them a bonus randomly. Like one of you guys stated above, what about when they arent efficient, dont show up, or damage things, you cant really take away there bonus you had already given them.
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a productivity incentive program. But I think times are different now. The workers should just be glad they are employed and are getting hours. Since a lot of company's are letting people go there are a lot qualified people out there that will need a job.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Qualified for what...being a foremen or operatng a shovel? The problem I see is not really qualification its work ethic. I guess the old saying applied "pay peanuts, get monkey's."
  5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Qualified for whatever position you are seeking to fill. Operators, hardscapes, irrigation, foreman, managers, sales, fert, mowing.

If they don't have the work ethic then they are not qualified as far as I am concerned. That should should not even be a question for a small business owner in the Green Industry. I guess I have been around long enough to have a good reputation w/ employees, so good workers seek me. They know my workers don't f-around and they know that I pay for good work.

If you pay your monkeys w/ peanuts that's as far as your should go with your expectations.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I like the way you put that...
  7. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

$10,000 dollar company Christmas bonus. Show up late $50 deduction, no uniform $50 deduction, ignore a safety rule $50 deduction, moving violation $100 deduction. Division managers decide on who gets what 12/1.
    Would love to pay the whole amount out.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Full time employees get a take home truck
  9. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

When I'm about to hire a new employee, I show him a list of everything I expect from him and ask him how much he needs to make per hour to comply. Invariably, the guy throws out a lower number than I'm willing to pay. Then, I tell him I will start him at $1.00/hour more than he asked. That gets the morale and motivation going right from the start. I also pay for the total time from leaving the garage in the morning until we finish the last job at the end of the day. That means I pay for lunch breaks, other breaks, and I buy the food and drink they want during the working day. For me, finding and keeping a dependable employee is more than worth giving that employee some perks.
  10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Are you hiring? I can work for 25.00 an hour:laugh: PS I like Ruth Chris