Employee killed in accident, insurance priceless

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stuttering Stan, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I was involved in a motor vehicle accident. My only employee was killed in the accident. Because I am well insured, it has made this terrible ordeal much bearable. I am a small lawncare biz, grossing about 50k/year. Luckily, I am fully insured for workman's comp, commercial automobile, and liability insurance. I see so many small businesses operating without any insurance. It is unavoidable accidents like this that literally make insurance PRICELESS. This rant has been a word of advice to the small business who are running under the radar.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Wow...so are you alright???

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

jesus man what happined.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, are you OK ? Is his family OK ? Can you tell us what happened ?

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

lol... you have soo much sympathy for your dead employee.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

So what happened?

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Holy crap, what happened? I cant imagine how bad that would suck.

8. Stuttering Stan

I was traveling 45mph on a 2 lane road, a LARGE u-haul truck pulled right out in front of me. I slammed on brakes, hit the u-haul truck then bounced off into the ditch. My empolyee, who was not seatbelted, was ejected threw the passenger side window and killed instantly. Fortunately, I was seatbelted and did not have a scratch on me. I have turned everything over to insurance and they are taking care of everything for the employee and his family. Thank god for insurance, I cannot stress how important insurance coverage has been in a situation like this. Accidents like this can happen to every person who reads this. BE PREPARED

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

So what are you doing for equipment now? Did you have enough back up stuff you can use, or did you get new stuff already? BTW very sorry to hear about your employee.

10. Stuttering Stan

The point I am trying to make here is how many of us can afford a huge wrongful death lawsuit? Be PREPARED. Run your business right and don't skimp on things that you feel may never happen to you.