Employee Leasing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mowmoney00, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

I have heard several guys in the industry switching to Employee Leasing Programs. Has anyone used / using one of these agencies, and if so whats your take on the whole thing. Is it worth the extra exspense or not.....Thanks

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

can you buy them at the end of the lease?

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of it, but it sounds interresting.

4. Mowmoney00

Employee Leasing is where the company does all of the human resources managment for you. They take care of paying the employees, offering them benenfits (such as 401K, insurance, ect.), workers comp, paying federal-local-and state taxes. Of course all of the insurance will be at a much better price b/c of the group rates that they get.

Sometimes this can be a big headache for me and I like the thought of calling the company and telling them how many hours each employee earned during that week and pooof ... i'm done.

I have heard that you can pick you own employees and dictate how much they make and hour, but of course this is all through the grapevine......just wondered if anyone knew more info on this.

Thanks for the reply's

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It sounds like your talking about using a temp agency. All you do is call them and tell them how many what kind of experiance you want them to have and what days and of course how much youu want them to earn. I just got the papers back and if I want 1 employee to make $10 an hr. and have minor exp.it will cost me $16.31 an hr. and after 90 days you can hire them yourself.

Mac

6. Mowmoney00

This is really not like a temp agency... i've heard.

7. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

You are correct MOWMONEY, It is not the same as a temp agency. You hire and fire who you want. The "leasing" company does all the human resources such as keeping track of paperwork, matching taxes and benifits. The employees actually work for you. The big daw to these companies is the ability to make your particular work code group larger to get a quanity discount on workmans comp.

A temp agency is a different story. One call in hte morning and you can get a warm body to fill a void for a day or two.

8. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Most employee leasing company's charge a percentage of payroll to provide the services. I've had quotes between 4%-7% of gross payroll. Many want a minimum payroll of 50K per year.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I think I'll stick with my temp agency...I;ve had good luck with the folks they have sent me for grunt work....stone, mulch, dig tree holes etc. I dont let them touch any power equipment however.."no way Jose', here's your shovel, pitchfork and wheelbarrow......see you in a couple of hours..."

if you've never tried it, conisder it...these grunts put allot of money in my pocket last 2 years...and with very few problems

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Mowmoney00,

Are there any websites you have been looking at specifically about this?