Employee Left Me Stranded- Hiring on Long Island!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluediamond, Dec 3, 2004.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond LawnSite Member

The guy that's been working with me since spring decided to ge a full time job at the mall and let me know 2 days ago that he can't work anymore. :angry:
    I have one other guy- part time- but still have many cleanups left and the customers are getting anxious.
    Here's what I'm looking for:
    Someone to work for the next 2 weeks- 40 hrs/week. (and possible for next season if they're interested). I'll pay $9.00/hr. They must speak English, have their own transportation and have prior landscaping experience. I don't have time to train anyone- so they must at least be good with a backpack blower.
    Know anyone who might be interested? Email me at traciann@earthlink.net
  2. bluediamond

This is on Long Island- Smithtown & surrounding areas
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DANG! No wonder he left you. I thought..no I know the cost of living is 3-4X in NY what ours is in the South and dang, us dumb old southerners, at least me and the other LCO's I know, pay $10 an hour... ;)
  4. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

Amigos are the only ones who will work for that.
  5. bluediamond

I was paying him $10 an hour- but now I'm paying my part-timer $12 an hour so I need to save a little money.
    Thanks for all your important and relevant information. Glad you took the time out to be helpful.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Good luck with that list of requirements, I think day laborers here make more than that and with a lower cost of living.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Blue Diamond, I don't think you are going to get much for $9/hr. I understand you are looking to save money but find somewhere else to cut costs. I have been starting laborers at $10 or $11/hr. Just might want to hit Farmingville to pick someone up for 2 weeks.
  8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

it's hard to find good workers these days. one of the reason's I'm solo. Here in Utah, it's hard to find people who don't mind working in the desert sun or good hard work. the humidity here is about 11% or below during the summers. I'd be mad too if i had a employee leave me hanging as he did you. :realmad:

Mmm, your trying to save money, but you need workers. well, unless you can get one really quick who know's what he's doing, I'd suggest going to a temp place. it's a last resort, but you won't loose your shirt. ;) ;) payup

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

good luck hiring there for that
    most guys i know there make $15+ as a simple laborer

if that's all you can afford then you really NEED TO RAISE YOUR PRICES
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I speak english, and have my own transportation. For the right price I may even bring two trucks, trailer and leaf vac. Either that or sellout to me, and I'll give you a job at $20hr with benefits. :)