Employee lunches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tnt-g, May 15, 2003.

1. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

How many of you guys runing a 3 man crew buy their employee lunches? How do you keep them working? Are any incentives offered? I feel like I always have to be keeping track of him making sure he has a tool in his hand and out of the back seat of the truck while I am working. But he is the most productive employee I have had so far. Their hearts will never be in it.
  2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I usually buy my crew lunch once or twice a week. They are great workers..
  3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I don't buy my guys lunch regularly. If I get some temporary day help now and then, then I usually buy them lunch. Occasionally, I'll buy a few lunches for the new guy, until he gets his first check. I prefer to have the guys bring their lunch. I bring mine, and we save time not chasing a lunch place down.
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I never eat lunch as it is just too hot. However, at one time in the past I had employees wo voted not to take a so called "lunch break" so they could finish earlier. So they usually at something going to the next job.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I stop for lunch every day and when the guys are working with me I treat. My friends think I'm crazy. There's no slacking when we are together so I look at it as a little bonus for them. Its only for 4-5 weeks during cleanups. When they are by them selves mowing they usually pass lunch in favor of quitting earlier for the day.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I only buy lunch for an employee if he is out of money. Usually I am the one bumming five bucks off my guys! I seem to go around with a nickel in my pocket half of the time. We take a 30 min. lunch everyday.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always buy my employees water and/or pop.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about 1 employee in particular?

You say he is the most productive you have, yet also say you have to keep track of him and make sure he is not lounging in the back seat of your truck while you are working.

If that's the best you have had, then I would hate to know what the others have been like.

If you are paying someone to supervise you from the back of your truck, NO you shouldn't buy him lunch. He should make you lunch, at McDonalds, where he wouldn't have a place to sit down. BUST HIS ***!!! Better yet, FIRED!!!

9. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

My friend and I run the business as a partnership. Last year we operated the business 100% on our own. This year we hired a full time employee. He works great some days and other day he is a pile. Just wanted to know how you guys treted your help.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it's good policy to just buy lunch for workers on a regular basis. They begin to expect it and take it for granted, for one thing. For two, it isn't duplicatable. When you get 10 or 15 employees are you still going to buy lunch every day??? I don't care how much money they are making you, you'll soon begin to resent spending $100 per day on lunches.

I buy my guys lunches once in a while. Like every 2 months or so. I'll call them up on a long day and we'll all meet at a Pizza place or something and I'll treat. I'll also give them a longer lunch on that day too.

BUT, I do pay for the guys' lunches each day. The way I see it, if they are on the clock, they will get back to work sooner than if they HAVE to clock out for 30 minutes. If you're not getting paid, you might as well take the full 30 minutes. But if you're being paid, you'll sometimes go back to work after 15 or 20 minutes because you're already done eating. I know because I used to be in that prediciment. I had an employer that told me lunches were always granted but if I didn't want to take them, then I could just grab a bite on my way to my next stop and they'd just keep on paying me. I loved that job. And I never took 30 minutes for lunch. So I learned to do the same thing for my employees when I started my own co.