Employee managament

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 11, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think I've said it before that I'm the crew foreman for my company. So, I'm usually in charge of about 5 laborers, ranging in totally unskilled to semi skilled (I'm the guy who does all the trickier stuff, I trust two guys to install heads, but thats just about it).

Lately, a couple of the guys keep getting pulled off my crew to help with service due to the crazy number of start up's we have been doing. (one service tech, and a laborer), so I've been running a two man crew and its been real hard to get things done within the deadlines I've set for myself (I worked 8 am to 8 pm on monday...the things I do for a company I don't own :dizzy: )

I'm wondering what the optimal number of laborers you guys all like. I find that sometimes I get backed up, not having enough pipe pulled in, or waiting on a valve manifold to be installed before the guys can start hammering in the heads.... Its just so difficult training/finding skilled help these days.

We average about 25-30 heads a day when we have a 4-5 guys going, but it drops down to about 10-15 when its just me and a laborer... :(

2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I like to use 4 on most installs. 2 guys start pulling all of the pipe right off the bat. The other 2 dig, build valve manifolds, and put fittings & heads on. After the 2 are done pulling pipe, 1 of them can go hang the controller. Except for pulling pipe, I like for everone to split up. I hate to see 2 guys digging the same hole. Now that we are using the blazing saddles, there is no more pushing & pulling laterals into fittings which is a great timesaver.
    We too are bogged down with start ups & service type work. Because of last years drought (and this years drought so far), everyone is seeding & wants us out there yesterday. Been working alot of 5am to 7pm shifts. We have 1 foreman on the installation side that has been doing irrigation for 9 years. 1 guy with 1 year's experience, and 2 guys with a month's experience.

Rob

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Most Days: 4-5 guys installing averaging 15-18 zones per day. 1 guy averaging 8 start-ups a day and I overlook, pull permits, estimate, talk to owners that think everything should be for free, you guys know the routine.