1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee Negligence, Stupidity, OR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

How do you handle employees that continualy tear stuff up. Trailer lights being ripped off the trailer, Fenders being folded back on top of tires, The "UP-Down" Switch on the dump traler being drug down the street and destroyed. Continually breaking trimmer, etc.. because they insist on laying them on top of one another w/ the rakes and other tools. What do YOU do? :confused: *trucewhiteflag*
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I went back to being solo.

Sure, you're probably grossing enough to cover those problems, but I got to the point I couldn't handle the headaches anymore.

That was 8 years ago.

I keep being tempted on hiring employees again, but each time I mention it to my wife, she gives me the look.

She and I both remember how miserable I was......
  3. 1cooltreeguy

Yeah - I hear You - But how did you handle their negligence. They did something the other day that is gonna cost me $200 out of pocket and we have our own shop and, welders and mechanics. I am soooo Over it. Their supervisor keeps making excuses for them.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, if you're working for some place like TruGreen or a big chain like that, and you're not in the hiring/firing control, just make notes of it everywhere and C.Y.A.
  5. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Make the crew responsible, if they break it due to misuse or negelect - take it out of that crew's check. Funny how quick that clears things up.
  6. 1cooltreeguy

Yep - That is what I am inclined to do. I am so over it. We go thru 3 sets of trailer lights every year and at least 2 dump trailer switches - Countless fenders - OH and Gas caps for mowers, trucks, trimmers, and Gas cans - it never ends.:cry:
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you break it you buy it **** happens but if its your fault you pay for it
  8. 1cooltreeguy

So - can you give me an illustration of how you would handle the employee. I did have a employee drive a skid steer over a Stihl HT-75 pole saw.. Completely ruined - I was so mad I charged him for it but I fired him before he paid for it. :nono:
  9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My policy was that if you abuse it, loose it, etc, you pay for 1/2 cost of replacement. Overall, it worked well, was fair, and we had very little incidents.
  10. 1cooltreeguy

Sooo- what is the signifigance of 1/2 the cost? Depreciation? What if it were new, NEW? Thanks, ERic