Employee Parking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 15, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I know that most LCO's are based out of the home. In fact, I don't know of any that aren't.

So, when your employees report to work in the mornings, where do they park?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We are not home based. They park at the equipment yard. I know a few homebased LCO's that have been hassled by the police when their employees started parking on the side of the street.
  3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

You dont know many LCO do you? I know most small operations are based out of ther home, but larger ones with more than a few employees would not get away with working from home.If your properties not commercially zoned you will run into problems.
  4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even thought I do keep some equipment at my house I am not based out of my home, we have a warehouse that we keep all of our stuff at where we can also work on everything when maintnence needs done. Having a separate place also makes it so customers don't know where you live etc..
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on zoning. If you have no walk up clientele and use your home garage for storage of equipment, you may be okay. For many years, I have had as many as 4-5 employees drive in to work. As long as their cars are registered and insured, they are permitted to park on the street. It is a public road. In my situation, I have many neighbors w/ up to 5 vehicles per home w/ small or no driveways. My men were instructed to park away from these homes to avoid problems. In my case, most that complained were newer neighbors who moved in after me. We are a "blue collar" town, with a lot of service companies. I grew up here since 10 months of age. Only once was I approached by the zoning officer. I kindly reminded him that not only would he have to shut down at least 75-100 other small businesses here should he harrass me, but that our own DPW employees all park on public roads in front of resident's homes. I never heard from him again. Then again, 2 of his brother-in-laws also had businesses in town that stored stuff at their homes (painter & general contractor).
    It all depends on your towns ordinances and code enforcement. I must admit that I love the new shop that I built and the fact that everything is now out of the home garage.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Let em park in the back ;->

Bob you do have a beautiful shop
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

MY office is based out of our home. But our equipment, parking, etc. definitely is not. The neighborhood I live in would never let me park a bunch of cars around here all day. We have a storage garage out at a local farm that we store a lot of stuff at. They can park out there. But I give each crew leader their own truck to take home to their own house every night. So many of my employees don't need to park. They just show up with the work truck.
  8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

When I was home based they parked on the street or in the field next to my home. Now my shop is in that field and I have 30 parking spots marked for employees and vistors. Then another 15 spots for company trucks and trailers
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

turfdude, with the money you pay those poor souls, you don't need more than a bicycle rack for thier transportation.
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

C'mon Bobby, Someone has to hire your in-laws:cool:

That's one reason why your wife likes me sooooooo much:eek: