employee pay for weather issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by longslawn, Jan 24, 2003.

1. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

For the people that have employees.

How do you handle pay for employees that miss work due to the weather? Do the receive any pay or not.

Just wanted to see what other people do. I pay for time missed up to 40 hrs. This is based on how long the employee has been employed. It starts at 4hrs after 90 days, 6hrs after 6 months, 8 hours after 1 year.

Like everyone I am looking at my cost for the past year and this year. I may go to a flat rate, say $50.00 for each day missed. I'm not sure that someone should receive full pay for hours that they don't work.
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I say No Work...No Pay. But I'm ole school and I don't have any employees either....
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You are a very nice employer to say the least. If you are not working you are not making money. If they are not working and you are paying them anyway then they are costing you money. No work no pay. If you have to pay them because you feel they will leave other wise then it is time to do jobs around the shop.

4. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

Even if its raining hard I get my guys to come into work. There is usually something to do like maintenance. You can always mulch in the rain. I've installed a retaining wall in a 2 day downpoor (it was already excavated). If there is absolutely nothing to do, Isend them home with no pay. This way since they came into work anyway, they will usually find something to do. If thet really want to go home they usually don't care if there is no pay.
  5. longslawn

I started the practice of rain pay when I had only one employee now I have three. However as insurance and other business cost have increased tremendously the past few years I am going to have to make changes in how employees are paid on this.
    I also don't want the people that work for me to suffer if I can afford to help in some manner in the event that it rains all week and the are unable to work. We do work around the shop as needed when bad weather happens but that only accounts for so much time.

I'm not paying this because they may leave if I don't. I pay this because I would hope if the shoe was on the other foot that my employer would do the same.

That said, I am going to have to make some changes in this. I just wanted top see if anyone else has such a plan. So far it doesn't seem like anyone does.:)
  6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

If there is work to be done I expect them to come in rain or shine.
    I try to be fair with the guys, but watch how you give and give. They will become to expect this. It is ok to in my opinion to give a little if they have. But when you do give the extra always tell the reason why and make it a good reason (not for just being a good guy). If the person has went out their way to get biz or done some extra without being told. Then give him the extra.

Just paying for missed work will get out of hand. If you still feel strongly about this I would have a written policy on the pat for missed work
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

My employees are paid a flat per week salary for "X" number of jobs. Over "X" number for the week and they receive a flat per piece additional payment, If there is less than "X" for a given week, they have nothing deducted. A maximum of 8 hours of work is assigned each day. If they complete it in less than 8 there are no deductions in pay. Rework policy due to poor quality, miscuts, lack of attention to detail is never included in "X". My policy is that I give you enough time and pay to do it right the first time. If it needs to be done a second time to get it right, it's your time. Typically we have to rework no more than two jobs a year. Now to answer your question.

If we go out and mow just one job or not even finish the first job and then get rained out, everyone receives a half day of pay and we go home. Same for after lunch but they get a full day's pay and then regular pay for the make-up day, minimum half day pay if we're not out after lunch, full day's pay if we legitimately have only one job after lunch. The employees know that I know exactly how many jobs they can do before lunch so I'll tolerate no feet dragging to stay out after lunch. There was some discussion about overtime for the make-up day (Saturday work). I reminded them that they could not have their cake and ice cream as well. I left it up to the employees to decide if they wanted me to change payroll to hourly pay which would be no more than anyone else is paying. Overtime pay on Saturday would start after 40 hours, not just because it was Saturday, but then the rainouts would be handled on the exact hourly rate. 15 minutes or an hour of work would be paid and nothing more and they would have to show up every day, rain or shine just to find out if we were going to work. They all came back the next day and said no deal, they figured out they would actually lose money. I was hoping they weren't that smart because I could save a few bucks. First I closely monitor the weather. If radar shows the job area is going to be hit by hard rain before 10:00 I'll bag the day completely. There is no reason to work an employee 40 hours or less in five and a half days if you can skew the schedule by one day and give them two full days off during the week. They have a life too. Secondly I look at my yearly income. So what if I pay them the equivalent for 5 or for that matter even ten days during the year for which they don't work. It's not even a round off error. My employees are my most valuable asset in my business. I can have a million mowers in inventory, but if I don't have happy, stable, skilled and returning workforce each year, I'm out of a job.
  8. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

I don't have any employees yet, but was curious, if you still have the same amount of work to be done, couldn't you just tell them they'll make up the hours on there off day and in theory just switch up your off days so you push the work load off a day? I also don't know what the labor rules are and if any would apply to these situations. I still have a lot of research to do before I think of hiring anyone.
  9. longslawn

If it rains and they can't work it's not the same as a plnned day off. You can't really do the same as you could if tou know you were going to be off.

I agree with xpnd.

Employees know that they have to work the extra hours to make jobs missed if timen is loss. I know what they could and could not do any if they don't put forth the effort to catch up they will not receive any rain pay. This pay is not included if we work up to 40 hours anyway or in overtime hours.You would have to work over 40 hours to receive overtime. I guess this is more of a cost if it rains all week and in the winter.
  10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

We work a 10 hour 4 day schedule and make up the rainout on Friday or Saturday . All of my foremen are salary so they come in and do what needs to be done in the shop or office .But it has to be raining pretty good to stop us right now.I have a lot of hispanic labor and they want to work all the time so that helps out a loti in any weather unless it is 6 degrees like today , they got off .