Employee Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Mar 17, 2005.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Something that drive me nuts....Ill vent about.....

I tell all employees that if they cause any property damages while they are at a clients home to report it to the office IMMEDIATELY

We dont penalize or yell at workers that cause damage when its reported... I believe i have a good crew and for the most part I dont think anyone is going to go out and do any damage on purpose....

I have always found that its much better that when an employee:

EX: Runs over and chops a hose....... I prefer calling " Mrs. Jones" and saying " Mrs. Jones, I apologize, the crew ran over your hose while they were mowing. Im on my way to get you a new one and I'll be there shortly"

I HAVE NEVER HAD A CUSTOMER GET EVEN SLIGHTLY MAD WHEN I DO THAT..

When they get real mad is when they come home from work and go outside to water the flowers and find a mangled hose........ Now they're pissed and they're calling me screaming.........

IT drive me nuts that even though we dont penalize employees for damage........ THEY STILL DONT TELL ME>>>>>>

SAME WITH EQUIPMENT DAMAGE........ I cant tell you how many times a machine will break during the day and noone will say anything......... I have a mechanic that works everynight in my shop and we have the ability and parts to fix almost anything that could break during the day,........ THEY WONT SAY ANYTHING SO THE MECHANIC HAS NO IDEA ITS BROKE AND I FIND OUT THE NEXT DAY WHEN THEY'RE ON THE ROAD USING ONE TRIMMER, WITH TWO BROKE ONES IN THE TRUCK.....

Our guys do an awesome job...... Theyre good on equipment,,,,,,,great with customers........ I trust them on the road........BUT I CANT GET OVER THIS ONE THING THAT IS DRIVING ME NUTS...

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I don't blame for being pissed off what do the guy's say to you when you ask them about the broken equipment! and why are they not telling you, I have alittle check list that I have my guy's do every day and hand it to me at the end of the day to just go over general thing's and this is just so they know they must be on top of their game at all times, works pretty good!

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

nobody knows anything........... The best one I hear is that BRIAN (the night mechanic) must have broke it because it worked fine yesterday when they brought it back to the shop.

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

That suck's someone has to be held responsible for these thing's.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Give one of those "great" employes a few days off for not following the rules and the rest will get the message. If they don't you can learn to live with it or start replacing them with other great employees that don't want to listen to the BOSS.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

One of my pet peeves is when they are trimming and get a little to close to the flowers and cut one or two down and they leave it like morons. I have been doing this a very long time I still get one occasionally what I never do is leave the thing there so the customer has something the freak out about. No matter how many times I say it they always seem to forget. Its very simple pick it up put it in your pocket and keep going they don’t know it’s missing and they don’t get upset. But no lets not only cut the flowers lets leave it there to remind them what they no longer have!

7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I tell my guys to let me know if they break something also. This way when a customer blames us for something I can defend myself against" the landscaper is always the first to be blamed" mentality of these people. If I can't trust my guys, I can't defend us against frivolous accusations.

8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. Another one along this line is,If they do miss some trimming it's always by the mailbox or by the front entrance.It's common sense that the customer passes these two locations every day of their lives. Meanwhile the back 40 is prestine.