Employee plowed into water pipe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, Jun 24, 2005.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Knucklehead employee plowed into water pipe w/ my 61" scag turf tiger.

screwed up the deck BAD --- Pipe is ok

the scalp wheels were 5 inches below where they were supposed to be

we straighted up the scalp wheels but still the spindle housing broke, all 3 blades are now at different heights

took it in Monday afternoon said they will have it Sat morning at 7:30

cost is going to be huge
    parts $220
    labor to straighten out the deck was at now 6 hours and they are still working on it
    but almost finished with it

the bill is not going to be good

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How long have you had this employee and will you take a deduction from his pay?

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Knocked off a few over the years .... most were minor damage .... worst was the 1st one .... just over $8k in damage

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Just another joy of having employees...I can relate

5. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Had my helper catch one of the cables on a 21" on a water spiget on the last pass at a customers home. I was doing one last turn around the house to check everything was done when I found water shooting out of the side of the house. He said he did not know he hit it. It took me two visits with my plumbers kit to fix it ( about an hour and a half). Im not the best plumber but finally got it fixed.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you should have bought a kubota,

i hit one a couple years ago. it was doing a fall clean up on an unknown lawn. it was under the leafs.

i hit it at wfo. i almost flew right off the front. it stopped me dead in my tracks. i didn't know what the heck happened!!!

the pipe was bent way over. couldn't find any dents on the deck, just a tiny scratch.

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

You can not charge an employee for damaging your equipment. You can only fire them. Don't even think lawsuit. You can not recover from an employee for damage to your equipment.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's as illegal as it gets......

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It take it this is the same "former student" that you were talking about how good he was earlier in the season when otehrs were warning you?

10. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I call B.S . explain more or give pictures. Seems to unlikely. Ive hit big tree stumps damn near at full speed where the machine comes to a dead stop almost throwing me off and never tore my machines up , this is on the Hustler and super z...Sorry I dont buy it ... C.B