1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Currently I run a 2 man crew, me and an employee. I have a guy now who I hired after my former employee went back to school about a month ago. Well the situation is...we usually work 4 days a week and work pretty much all day. Without him I can't get all of the work done by myself. Now he hasn't shown up or even called in the last 3 days. I have called him and left messages and don't know what else to do. I'm getting pretty backed up on work because this guy hasn't shown up. I doubt that I won't ever hear from him again considering he still has a paycheck here waiting to be picked up. I'm pretty much considering him to be fired at this point. How would you handle this situation?
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Mail his paycheck with a note saying you consider him not showing up the same as quitting and hire someone else.
  3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I would start looking for a new employee asap. You can't operate your business with someone that is not reliable.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get out there and do all the work you can, meanwhile try to hire!

If you think someone is a joker, hire them "part time" and do not let them work more than 3 days a week. No matter how much they beg or how backed up you are, 3 days a week.

Keep joker broke so he shows up, and he has 4 days a week to get his personal BS out of his system.

Will this scheme work? Probably not.

Realistically, we are screwed. If anyone wants to know just how screwed this country is, go to www.boortz.com or better yet tune in to Neal Boortz on the radio.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Call the local law enforcement agencies and see if they have anybody by his name incarcerated.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hire someone else and if he comes to pick up his check have him sign a paper ackowledging the fact he did not show up for 3 days and did indeed quit. You always need to CYA
  7. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Too funny that you mention this. :dizzy:
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just think, all of the scrawny cinderalla white boys today are breeding out with trailer trash.

Now think ahead 20 years...

All the little bastard illegitimate children they are breeding today are going to go into the workforce. The future is not good.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all I would write his check for the amount owed him. I'd hold it for either him or a relative to pick up for a couple weeks. If no one shows up I'd mail it to his last known address.

I'd consider him quitting and leaving me in a bind. I would get another helper and forget him. I wouldn't check anywhere for him -- jail or elsewhere.

He or his relatives aren't considerate enought to let you know something if he is sick, in jail, in the hospital or just quit and no telling what else.

You don't owe somebody like that anything except his last check.

10. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Do you think it would be appropriate to call his "emergency contacts" from his application?