1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee problem

Discussion in 'Employment' started by RYS LAWNS, Feb 12, 2012.

RYS LAWNS LawnSite Member

Just found out that one of my employees on unemployment is going around to old custumers of ours and giving them cards with his name!!! We are in the off season and he is on unemployment.. Can i fire him in off season or?? He makes us a lot of $$ but thats besides the point>.......un real these idiots!!!!!!!!! Anyone have anything similiar happen?? What to do
  2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Get all the information you can. Biz cards, letterhead, estimates, something stating he is in business for himself.

Get all that info to the unemployment office. They will pull his unemployment and make him repay whatever they have paid him already.

Hopefully you have a non compete protecting your company from this....

I had this happen a few years ago. Learned to have non competes the hard way. Lost a few customers but it was worth having him have to repay the unemployment....I think he was more pissed about losing is unemployment than I was about him soliciting my customers.
  3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what I was going to say, here you can not collect if you are also trying to establish a new business
  4. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Go over to his house and take a weedeater to his shins.
  5. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Evert state is different but here in Texas it is super easy to fire people. You can fire someone here and not even legally have to divulge the reason they were fired.

Most of our help here could not get unemployment because they lack a few required credentials. Years ago I had issues like your dealing with and finally I realized I was hiring the wrong type of people with poor work ethic.
  6. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

good thread ayone else have ideas... i would break legs, then he cant work!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

how about to his face instead:clapping:
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes this is happening all over the place.
    If he is running a legit business. There is nothing you can do
    Most likely his not thy rates will beat yours by 30%
    That means you will lose customers. :weightlifter:
  9. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

Down here you can fire for anything and at anytime, it's called the right to work act. Hitting that pocket will be biggest damage you can do but remeber he will probably get pissed and it may give him the fire to up his game and go after all your customers.

You said he is going after old customers.. Old as in used to be customers or old as in last year old?

Drive by his house one night and dump out a gallon or two of Pramitol on his lawn, that's always fun.
  10. I think there are a total of 34 states that have adapted the "right to work" act. However that has more to do with a Union membership than work.(whether you have to join an union in order to work for a union shop employer) The proper term is "AT Will" state. This is state that says where anybody can fire anybody who is not subject to collective bargaining or under contract. You don't have to give reason(you are foolish if you do) Believe it or not, California is an At Will state.

Let the person know that he no longer has a job with your company by letter. Just remember to not give him any excuses to suit you for unlawful termination.

Do tell unemployment what your former employee is doing.

You have every right to protect your business. However, that is another reason why you have signed contracts with new hires in the first place