Employee Problems

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Jun 9, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I had hired an employee a little over a month ago, well he through out his back the other day playing softball. Everything was going smooth with him. But he is no longer with me.

I hired someone wednesday to replace him. His first day went well. Second day got heat exaustion and decided that this job wasn't for him.

I hired someone yesterday, he got a bad sunburn and had to go home early. I am wondering if he is even going to make it in today. I told him to make sure he brought sunscreen this time.

The employee roller coaster sucks...expecially when you are trying to hire someone when it is near 100 degrees and you are way over scheduled!
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone every hired more people then they needed, expecting one of them not to work out. I need 2 good employees, I am tempted to hired 3 people. The only problem is what happens if they all become good employees?!
  3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

In Australia a lot guys try and hire woman, they find them more reliable, pay more attention to detail (quality) and work harder with fewer complaints, also they do better because they are trying to prove that they are as good as men so they give 110% ( don't tell them we know this, just let them keep proving themselves lol ) ....and i have never heard of any complaints about them as opposed to 100;s of complaints about male workers.

So if some one is looking for the best man for the job consider a wo-man.:clapping:
    (the best are horticultral students or girls that already have an interest in say landscaping , gardening etc)
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

oh and if theres any guys on the crew they will work harder to prove how good they are to her and if any guys complain you can say, look here you don't hear Cindy complain about the heat so shut up.:nono:
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

thats when you start hiring more guys form another crew and start booking TONS of work.
  6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Must be white boys. Welcome to the revolving door.... Of course most on this board would say if you doubled their pay, the employees would work a lot harder for you.
  7. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I know a guy who hires 3 or 4 guys starting on a Monday, and tells them there will only be oen position open next week, and comes out with one hard worker. Myself, I could never afford to do that, plus that many guys running around one site would be chaos.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Hire through a temp agency, if they dont stay all day the agency will drop them, plus you only need to use them when you need them. If one dont work out the other one will. You can usually find people with some landscaping skill or they are used to hard work/labor within those agencies.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

too much for $$ full time and if you just hire them the temp place won't send you guys when you really need them.
    You could hire two guys at minimum wage for what you pay one of these day labour losers.
    For the most part these are guys that can't hold a steady job.
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

have you been screening these guys pretty good? IE making sure they have experience so they know what the working conditions are like, make sure they're not drugy slackies? All the good stuff.