1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee questions PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pclawncare, Feb 8, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is the problem. I am bidding on a pretty big contract about 15 to 16 acres of mowing. Several different sites involved and i have figured up my cost for the most part the only thing that i cant figure because i do not know is my labor. I know what id like to made per hour and i already have all the equipment that i would need including a 61" grasshopper. I have never had a full time employee that i have paid taxes and workers comp for on. I have figured this contract will take about 20 hours to complete with 1 helper. Just to be safe lets figure 25 hours per week of work to complete the entire contract. Starting pay for the helper will be around $9 per hour. What is everyones actual cost per hour for an employee after work comp and taxes? I know someone on here has figured this even if you pay your help a little more a ball park would be nice. Im just trying to figure up my cost to ensure that i dont screw my self over
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

A full time legal employee with tax's, workman's comp, unemployment and benefits like insurance, uniforms and the like will cost you 26% over and above what you are paying them (ballpark) So your 9.00 hr guy will cost you 11.34 per hour.
  3. pclawncare

Awsome AZ thanks so much thats exactly what i was looking for
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

How about this if you get the job hire someone part time and leave him there to take care of the place.Just a thought.
  5. pclawncare

Its seperate sites and this places says that i have to prove workers comp and liability insurance so there is no way around it.
  6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't mean trying to get around things more of them having a "personal" lawn guy to take care of anything they need.So just price it in the contract to cover the workers cost and leave him there and the other site.
  7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

After figuring the hours that employees worked at customers properties for a year; I figure that a $10 per hr employee cost about $20 for every hour logged at a customers properties. That include employee time traveling, washing the truck, vacation, holidays, workers comp, matching social security, F I C A,. In my area $10 doesn't get you a dependable employee. Vacations and Holiday pay seem to be required.