Employee rain policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 9, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

What is you policy with employees? If it's an obvious choice if it's raining when I get up.

The last few days the rain has been in the forecast but maybe not shown up til 11 or 12. The radar would have rain on part of the county but would. I've very slowly.

I have one employee that has about a 25 minute drive to get to work. I want to look out for him and often feel bad for getting him to come in for a possible 3-4 hour work day. I try to treat the great employees good and happy since I expect a lot out of them.

I've considered changing my policy going forward to expecting everyone to come in- even if foe a few hours - and if the rain comes finding some shop clean up to do.

How do you guys handle it?

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure you have enough to do on the rainy days for your help. Don't expect, Require. Your employees are a part of your business treat them all equal. Seemingly looking out for one more so than others due to drive time to work is not your business. Unless there is flooded streets or your sandbagging your home I will require you to be at work and on time, otherwise you better be calling me to let me know.
    easy-lift guy

3. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Your employees know that you have no control over the weather so, don't feel bad.

The way I work it, is first of all, to have 4 day weeks. My men are scheduled to work from Monday to Thursday. If it rains one of those days, they will work on Friday. If it rains 2 days that week they work on Saturday. This gives me some wiggle room when it comes to deciding what to do, if the rain is forecasted for a particular day.

If I see that he week looks bad and on a certain day the rain looks to start at noon, my men will come in, at least to get a half day in. If it is raining in the morning and looks to stop before 10am, I will have the men start late.

We do the best we can to get work done and try not to inconvenience the men as much as possible. The men know, we have to work with what's handed to us. We don't work indoors.

4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

With the locals it's like Landscraper said, they know the weather is out of your control. With the guy who has to drive 25 minutes, if he's pretty good help, give him a choice as to whether he comes to work or stays home. In looking at your website it doesn't look like you're a tiny operation so you probably have a handful of chores at the shop that need done on rainy days.

5. johnnyb01

johnnyb01 LawnSite Member

When I worked outside full time (Line construction for a utility company) we were expected to be there and ready to work at 7am rain or shine, if it was raining enough to call it a day before we left the main campus we were sent back home and paid for 2 hours. One advantage (to the employee) to this was if the rain was early in the week, we had a chance to make up the hours by the end of the week (we worked 4/10s pretty much during DST, and 5/8s the rest of the year).

6. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I am currently a solo but worked for an established company for many, many years... We were required to be at the shop at 7am rain or shine..... If it was pouring out and there was shop stuff to do, we did it... If there was not shop stuff to do, we went home but got paid for an hour for coming in/driving in... Now, here is the tricky part that nobody has addressed yet... What happens when the guys come in, the shop is spotless, the machines are serviced, and there really just isn't anything for the guys to do... AND, it's still pouring... Well, gotta send the guys home but are they now on call if it stops raining? What if they drive home and the sun comes out? What if the sun comes out an hour and a half later? Well, the way my old boss did it was that we stayed on call until 12 pm... This gave the weather a chance to clear up and also didn't keep us waiting by the phone all day as well. Now, there is plenty of stuff you CAN do in the rain as long as you have gear and stay safe... Weeding, mulching, demo stuff, etc.. But mowing? Yes, it can be done (Yes, I run Walkers) But it just sucks!!!! I can't stand getting off the mower every 2 seconds to clean the deck and you are trying to blow the wet grass off the pavement and it's just not going anywhere... UGH!

7. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you could have a backup plan for work if it rains...ie...repair mowers, (blades, oil change, etc)...or have him do something around the house or in the garage. There's always something at my house that needs to be done. You don't have to put a full day in but at least a few hours might make it worth his drive.

8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

We give x amount of paid days per season can b used for rain or vacation days
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Rain coats...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Working in the rain:

1- Unproductive (work takes longer to complete)
    2- Messy (Grass clumps or mud everywhere)
    3- Not good for equipment (Mowers work harder and can cause problems)
    4- Employees (Miserable and can become sick)
    5- UNPROFITABLE (Add 1-4 together and this is what you get)