Employee Requirements

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MN Wildwood, Mar 13, 2003.

1. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

What are some things you have your employees do such as wearing a company logoed shirt, reporting accidents or customer wants, asking in advance for days off, etc. I am looking to a document including these and other ideas, was wondering what are the top few wishes or demands that other LCO's have set-up for employees.
    Thanks MN Wildwood

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to say I don't have a handbook but you are very good to try and get the info to avoid problems ahead of time. By having this laid out for everyone in advance nobody will have any surprises.

Gravely_Man

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't have anything really written down. And it wouldn't really help much if I did since 80%+ of my workers don't read english well.

But there are some requirements I have that all of my employees are very aware of. I'll list as many as I can think of (in no particular order);

1) Being on time every morning.

2) Being dependable

3) Must wear company shirt or sweatshirt at all times.

4) Must wear company hat at all times.

5) Must use ear protection whenever using machinery and eye protection whenever using string trimmer, edger, etc.

6) Must be honest. You can tell, over time, who is honest and who isn't. I let those who aren't honest go.

7) They do have to ask in advance (a week or two at least) for days off. And it better not be very frequently. Hispanics, almost never take a day off. But many younger american guys seem to need a day off every week or two. It's pathetic. I get rid of guys like that quick.

8) Must have valid DL. Even if they are not an assigned driver, you never know when the crew leader or driver will be gone for a day and you'll need a laborer to step in and drive.

I am sure there are dozens of other rules we have that I am not mentioning but these are all I can think of right now.

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We do have a company handbook and have had for years, just putting some revisions in it now. I beleive they are essential for protecting yourself. I learned the hardway the second year I was in business when we lost an unemployment claim because I fired an employee for what I considered to be a common sense reason. But since I had never specifically stated that the action was unacceptable, we were charged for his unemployment.

The National Landscape Association has a great model that you can use, basically just filling in the blanks. Also ALCA has some CDs out with many examples on them that can be copied and used, or modified.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

5. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

By chance, does anyone have a basic page that can be looked at for ideas? This is something I've thought would be smart but have never heard of them. Thanks.

6. JimLewis

I put this together a few years back but never really used it. See attached MS Word doc.

Attached Files:

7. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Thanks Jim, that's really good.

8. JimLewis

No problem. I just looked it over more carefully again. Some of those things our way outdated. I can't believe I used to pay my employees only once a month!!! Man, that was a while back.

9. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

Like Doug said ALCA has a policy manual that can be bought and modified to fit your needs. It saves alot of homework and headaches. Be sure to have it reviewed by your attorney before you implement it to make sure it fits your states requirements. By the way it comes in English and Spanish.

10. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

Thank You Jim for posting your policy, it is greatly appreciated and helpful.

Did you create the policy from scratch or did you use parts from other policies such as the ALCA policy manual?

Thank you again. Erik - MN Wildwood