1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

employee rules or contract examples please

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by supercuts, Nov 25, 2009.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, im sure the guys respect you and your things not to mention im sure thats perfectly legal.....

2. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

3. Allers Lawn Care

Allers Lawn Care LawnSite Member

hey texasfire221 if you get a free minute could you send over a copy of what you have come up with for the employee rules and regs. thanks, Cole cole@allerslawncare.com

4. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It is. I worked for a LCO when I first started. I took it from his manual.
    Also stated that any damage to equipment they pay for, and vehicle scratches they paid for the paint job.

Yep, the paint jobs on the trucks were always scratchless. If caused buy an accident, The LCO's Insurance paid for it.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

This isn't legal. At least, not in NY state. You can fire an employee for damaging your equipment or clients property, but you CAN'T make them pay for it or deduct it from a paycheck.

I had an employee that damaged a clients swingset. Told him he had to pay for it, and he did. Two weeks later he did it again, client tweeked. To prevent any further disasters from this employee, I let him go. Filed a complaint with the dept of labor and I had to pay him back...............

:hammerhead: Double check the LAW before assuming something is legal just because you found it written somewhere.

6. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You're right. But the hand tools can be charged for.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told you cannot "charge" or "deduct" for ANYTHING. The word "anything" was not left up to interpretation, it meant "anything".

Must just be NY :dizzy:

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

who abuses hand tools? my guys are friends, they borrow trucks, mowers, work on their cars/trucks in my shop, hang out, whatever. they wont break my things because they respect me. i dont even worry about it. and accidents do happy, just move on, its part of the business. one thing i taught them when trainning was mistakes happen, that I made all these mistakes, that they will too, and just tell me if they do.

9. familylawncare

familylawncare LawnSite Member

10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

As a company that started 5 years ago, and 2 years ago was my first year with employees, I would suggest not to just make rules just for the sake of having rules. The people you hire, you should feel they are decent people that will not cheat you. I have about 20 rules now, and all of them were made because of things that happened that I did not like.

Until you have an issue, there is no need for random rules in my opinion. Think about when you were an employee, and the first thing you had to read when you started was a whole bunch of things you cant do. How demoralizing.