1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee says he won't work in rain today...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcclureandson, Nov 16, 2006.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Forecast last night was for rain w/a little bit carried over into this morning. I called my crew leader to tell him I wanted a later start as it was still drizzling a bit at 6:30 a.m. He lets me know one of the guys wouldn't work today because it was raining...no call the night before, no excuses or apology - just refuses to work today.

I say 'that's my call...not his. He's gone, even though it will put me in a bind (for a week or two). Meanwhile it's now 9:30 a.m and the sun is shining and the forecast calls for a nice day.

This guy has been with me long enough to know we only work in bad weather when it's absolutely necessary...we had two half-days just last week because of rain. Guess he wanted to make sure I knew how he felt.

Anybody out there who would have let him come back the next day?
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

iget angry at guys for stuff like that but this late in the year id would have ekpt him on until snow and let him go if he was expendable or bring him back now he may have learned his lesson but bringing him back doesnt send a message to your other guys that you wont take their bs
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

When I am deciding to fire someone over stuff like this, I ask myself these questions to decide.

1. Did his screw up cost me any money?

2. How bad do I need the employee?

3. What is his previous track record?

4. Did the employee show me a severe lack of respect?
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your decision is correct. He works for you, not the other way around.
  5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Amen to that...I have a long track record with some of these guys of making sure they get what they need to perform. I provide them all with shortsleeve shirts in the summer and longsleeves in the winter...AND they all get a Carhart Jacket as well. If it's real cold in the morning we'll sometimes start late...heavy rain we'll start late or call it a day early. My season doesn't slow down...I am just as busy in December as I am in July.

My wife doesn't quite understand...I figure I'm always willing to do what's right and fair and this guy assumes it's because I'm soft.
  6. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

i think you both won out-he obviously does not want to work in adverse weather-which i can understand-and you are upset that he does not want to-which i also understand-one lesson learned-be more thorough in the hiring process-and one thing i supply all my help in florida with is excellent rain gear-its much needed here and it says you will be working in the rain without me saying a word.
  7. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

First and foremost I believe the tail does not wag the dog.

On that note, I personally would want to talk to the employee, maybe there was something else going on and the rain excuse was an easy out.
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what I tell my lawn maintenance guys.

I tell them to look at the rock in there front yard, and if is wet then you anit got to work, if you can't see the rock (snow) then you anit got to work, but if you can see the rock and its dry then your @ss better be at work 10mins early.

But yea it should of been your call not his.
  9. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

i work my guys in the rain if absolutely neccesary. which is rare. i would have done the same thing can't stand when someone bucks like that good call.
  10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Hey it's a free country, if he doesn't want to work in the rain who are you to tell him he has to?LOL
    You did exactly what I would have done! I will put up with a lot of mistakes from an employee. I have one equipment operator who caused over $100k in damage this year, and he is still with us(no, he is not operating equipment any longer), but this guy would be gone for breaking my #1 rule: "Never, ever forget who is running this company"! If you let a guy tell you what he will or will not do, you will lose the respect of the rest of the crew and your job will get orders of magnitude more difficult.