Employee start and end times

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by GXL2008, Mar 29, 2012.

1. GXL2008

GXL2008 LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

When do you guys normally start your crews time (not including the driver)? When they get to the first job or the office?

2. just cuts lawn care

just cuts lawn care LawnSite Member

My guys usual start time is when they leave office and stops when they finish last yard but thats just me

3. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

You have to pay them for winshield time. Just because they are not on a machine does not mean you dont need to pay them for their time. The law is very simple. Do you also stop the clock when they move from yard to yard?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

From pre arranged start time to arrival back to shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Our guys start anytime between 6 and 7:30 and are on the road within 10 minutes max. They get paid until they sign out in the office after parking the truck in the afternoon. We make them call in for lunch break start.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GXL2008

GXL2008 LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

My first yards are around an hour away I pay them one way. I guess i could just have them drive and meet me at the first job,and no I keep their time going threw the day. I looked at Florida law it is not clear.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

GXL .. it is my understanding you need to pay them for windshield time. There are certain positions which this not required by law but the are the exception not the rule
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JACIRR

JACIRR LawnSite Member
    from MN

You do not actually have to pay them for windshield time. I only pay my drivers for the time that they are driving to the site. You do however have to give them the option to meet directly at the site. I have read up on the federal laws on this. You can not make them meet at a shop location, and not pay them for drive time. You have to allow them to either meet at a shop and get a ride to the site, or let them meet you at the site. We pay the driver from the time they leave the shop, until the time they are done parking the truck and done with paperwork at the end of the day. The others are paid from the time of arrival at the 1st site, until the end of the job at the last site.

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Cheap SOB. Just pay your guys and feel good about it.

10. JACIRR

JACIRR LawnSite Member
    from MN

Would you pay your guys to sleep on the job? 95% of the time, that is what they do when on their way to the site.