employee stealing my jobs!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toddppm, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Just found out for the 3rd time this guy is stealing my jobs. Last time I told him 2 strikes 3rd he's gone , if he's riding in my truck with my stuff and somone asks about an estimate it's mine! Suckers trying to start his own business. I've known since sat. but thought i'd let him cut this week before i can him next monday morning. The other guy that cuts with him told me and he lives with him, doesn't want him to find out he told me.Stupid sucker put a bid on a gas station i plow snow for!Anyone else dealing with this? He just bought a walkbehind and commercial trimmers think he only has 3 lawns.Told one lady i would have charged $200 so he'll do it for $100. I'll hit him where it hurts no job, 3 lawns, he'll be struggling for sure.Hell of a way to start a business. But if he jumps i guess i'll kick his ass too!

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Only let him know that the gas station called you. His roomate could be an issue if you bad mouth the thief. Keep an eye on the informant just to make sure he hasnt been turned into the thiefs personal spy.<p>Another guy on this site had tires slashed recently...watch your stuff carefully.

3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Toroguy said it right. I would tryto let the other guy go also and hire someone else and hide your equipment.

4. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

I'd fire the guy on the spot, tell him you heard from your plow customer. I'd also like to punch out the crook, but, I'd probably calm down and avoid getting charged.What goes around comes around, make sure you do him a good turn when given the opportunity:)

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as a solo operator, this is not something I have to deal with. I've questioned my decision to stay solo and each time I talk to someone I hear this same complaint.<p>I've known people that were too simple to be a threat to the operation of a company, but yet were dependable employes. they are hard to find.<p>good luck to you in dealing with this &quot;rear end&quot;.<p>GEO

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

How is he payed. If he is a sub then fair game unless you have a non compete, and alot of money for a lawyer.<br>If he is a legitamite employee, you know with holding taxes, workers comp and the like, then fire him, and make sure all your paper work is in order.<br>Also any customer that would leave your service and use a cut rate, back stabbing employee, you dont want anyway as a customer.<br>I had this happen with a foreman.<br>he had profit sharing and full manangement of my lawn care division. Well I knew he wanted to go out on his own, and came to work one day with his truck all lettered, I was paying him to use his truck, so he thought great free ad for his bus with my equipment and accounts. I said woah nelie. What is up with this crap? Gave him the old junker behind the barn to drive for a few days, next thing I knew he had newspaper over all his lettering his truck hiding the lettering.<br>About a week later a few customers called saying that they were contacted by my wonderfull manager about him doing work next season.<br>He was all done that day.<br>Oh if you are paying cash under the table, then have fun dealing with this guy. You may not want to make to many waves less the irs find out.

7. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

Sounds like you've had some fun with your employees. Had this problem myself at one time....only way I found to eliminate the problem was to have employee agreements, inclusive of non competes, not allowing my equipment to be used for other than my jobs and keeping control on my business. These agreements should encompass many things such as company policies, SOP's, Safety Issues, Job Descriptions, etc. Without discipline and understanding, these folks can create havoc for you. If your business is over say 2 employees, you need to set the standards and the guidelines UP FRONT to preclude these problems. Employees, and I had 40 when I had my LMO are like trying to raise kids in an orphanage. I've written a book on this subject. Check it out on www.greenindconsulting.com<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.

8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Do what he did to you sneak behind his back!Before fireing him find a new worker.When he comes in to work one day say you found a better worker and tell him to hit the road!:)<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I never let a helper know how much I charge for my services. If they know how much you are making on a job , they might feel that your not paying them enough. I also don't let them get involved in giving estimates.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know its a tough call but he drew first blood so all bets are off. If he's working under the table then the I.R.S. will put these jobs back in your court, it just takes a phone call. <br>