Employee tattoos

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grenskpr, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

What are y'all's policy on this. I don't like them but I've had a good potential candidate apply and he's got a few. We currently wear golf shirts and thinking that I don't want to single him out but could get him long sleeve shirts. I know that a lot of young people have them. It's hard to find good help... I know I'm showing my age here

John
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. nortonlawncare

nortonlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the type if tattoos and the locations. They may be great workers but you still want your customers to like who they are letting into their personal area.
    I've had guys with just a couple but you wouldn't know when they wore a t-shirt. I also had two who had full sleeves and a few more on their legs, those two quit by calling me at 7am in NYC!
    But it all comes down to how comfortable you feel about employees with tattoos that are visible when they are working.
    If you feel like its going to be a problem then steer clear. If not then give them a chance
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think that it depends on type and location. If there just one or two small ones it is fine, but if they cover there body with them, it shows how they waste there money and just dont give a **** about what they are doing.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

In todays age tattoos are the norm. I have tattoos on both arms that go below my elbows. I have a buddy who owns a multi million dollar construction company who has both arms completely sleeved. If a potential customer judges me by my tattoos then i dont want them as a customer. I follow the same. I dont judge people by tattoos or other things. Could be turning away your greatest worker. Ive got more important things to do as a business owner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am old school from the days when tattooed people work carnivals had tents and charged a quarter. I see no reason why they should not still have tents.

Hoops in the ears, nose and lips need to go live with their aboriginal family in the Jungle.

While I am at it, If your pants are falling down, you need to be arrested for showing your fat ass.

7. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

They're on the arm long sleeve and you'd never know guy knows his stuff I'm gonna interview again
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm old school and I'm only 34yrs old. I dont allow any tattoo to be seen. We wear long pants and long sleeves all the time though, so It would just about take to tattoo on the forehead for me to see it.

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it's a good idea to treat him any differently (ie having him wear long sleeves). That would actually be a potential lawsuit and civil rights matter. Your employees represent you and your business. If your uncomfortable with him, or his appearance, your better off simply not hiring him.

Different states have different laws regarding employment and dismissal. For instance in missouri you can hire and fire at your discretion, and with no stated reason. If however, you fire someone for "violent tendencies", you may well find yourself in court.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

I think it's the total package that matters - both personal presentation, skills and attitude.

You can have a guy with tattoos looking unkempt and scruffy and it might create an issue, or a guy with tattoos in a clean uniform, well-groomed and it not be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.