1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee Troubles Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, May 30, 2006.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

So here is the situation.. same crew as last year. almost double the clients. workload is a bit more than it was last year, but the employees are making more money for the work that they are doing. our call backs have been astronomical this year. problems...problems...problems. We never had a problem last year - cleints were always very pleased. Now they come and tell me that they cannot handle the workload; it is too demanding; yadda yadda yadda! Their solution is that the only way that they want to continue to work is if I put Sulkie's on their mowers for them. Persoanlly, I am not a big fan of them. I walk just as many lawns as they do, and am a lot older. What's the problem right!!! or at least that is my thinking. First question is what do I do? Next question is do any of you have problems with employees riding on these things behind their mowers and going way to fast? Thanks for the help.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't cut a lot of grass but how can you have "double the clents " and just a little more of a work load? Paying people more will make them neither smarter or faster. Happy employees are good employees, buy them whatever they want if it is safe.
  3. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

give them the sulkies they'll be more fresh for the other jobs and complete the mowing quicker in most cases.
  4. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

dont forget you are the owner you will alway be more motivated or at least have the reason to be.it is important to listen what they are saying
  5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

If they are a good crew who you know can do good work, buy the sulky. Morale and profit will go up.

Good luck.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You have W/B's without velkes????

If you get them you will have happy, less tired employees, you will produce at least 50% more work in the same time, and they should pay for themselves in the 1st week. You will ride it and in the 1st 2 min. ask yourself why you waited so long.
    What was the question????
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, there are many variables when considering a velkie or sulkie. What size props(they must be small if you doubled work load), condition of turf (very rough, short turns, banks, slopes. Best guess is that you will only use them on 50% of the yards you service. But that all depends on statements mentioned above. Good Luck!!! Possibly buy one and see if they like. Sometimes one employee will take to it and the other will say no way in he#$ am I getting on that thing again.
  8. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Give them the sulkies.
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, go ahead and buy the sulkies, as long as the employee's know that on belt driven, geared transmission walk behind mowers, shifting on the fly tears up the tranny's. When that happens you are looking a bunch $ more than the price of a sulkie.
    I pulled my sulkies after two tranny's were ripped up in six month's of mowing.
    I am re-instating the sulkies, however, the crews have to sign out each piece of equipment used on a trailer, so I know now who will be doing the tearing up - and more importantly, who will pay for it!
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never heard of or seen such things, I had to google it several times to find a picture of one.

So how big a WB you need to use one of these things? I got a bad leg I cant walk more than 6 hours (if I take it easy) so I'm very interested.