Employee troubles

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, May 6, 2012.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have this one employee that's been with me the longest out of everybody on the truck, a great worker and educated in this industry, but lately he's had this attitude about working and him slacking off and getting away with it. He will make the other guys pick up his slack and these past two weeks its just pizzed me off. I have pulled him aside and talked to him and he just laughs like I'm making a big deal of it, and this last week it really got to me. I think tomorrow (Monday) I will sit him down and tell him enough is enough. Have you guys ever had this problem? What did you do? It all started when I gave him a raise last month.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have a formal written policy in place for your employees?, if yes is there a provision for his actions and consequences if said actions continue after a verbal warning??. It sounds like he has perhaps had enough, IMO. If you don't have anything in writing create something for the future. When you have a chat with him tomorrow make sure you give him a written warning, and have him sign off on it and date it.
    Do not let him drag you or your company down.
    easy-lift guy

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Some times it is better to let employees know they are appreciated.

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Have the sit down. Point oit the positives, the negatives and give him the direction you need him to move in so that he can become more succesful in your company. If he is not on board make sure he knows you may have t o hire someone who can fill that role.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A weeks unpaid vacation may correct his attitude.:usflag:

6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with easy lift guy.. make him sign a write up paper.. i dont care who you are everybody is replaceable...sit him down and expalin why you gave him this raise and what you've seen so far.. tell him if it contuies you'll have to find someone who wants to work and make his paycheck...

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Just had that problem. I was prepared for a sitdown on Monday but the guy calls me Saturday and hands me an ultimatum.

He's going to be working somewhere else.

8. what was the ultimatum?

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Problem solved.
    easy-lift guy
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Agreed!

Ultimatums never work in your favor.

Still, I would want to know why it came to that.

Money is rarely the top motivator.

It should not get to that level with a "key" man by surprise ;)