Employee troubles

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, May 6, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

We have two story lines here guys. Jvan's problem is solved. The OP's is continuing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

We had some down time last Monday as a result of the rain storms. He told me I needed to guarantee him five days work, and that he already had somebody that would guarantee him work.

I told him I won't guarantee work, and to go ahead and take the job with the other firm.

3. jvanvliet

He got the sense that he was indispensable. It's not the first time I had that problem. Now that he's gone, the rest of the crews will tighten up; until the next time.

4. Gotchya. Are your guys paid hourly or salary? If hourly, I can see where he's coming from, but don't agree with the ultimatum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Sometimes, "it's my way or the highway" is necessary. Nobody is indispensable.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes it can cost you in the short run. I have had customers quit because I fired their tech. But it is your business and your policy that the Employee must perform to. In this economy, bad attitudes can sit home. There are way to many People looking for a job right now.

7. jvanvliet

They get paid day rate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

"Shape up or ship out" while it can hurt in the short run A bad attitude can be contagious. You are running your company and don't forget who is in charge. I give them one chance to straighten out. I can't afford to give them any more. It is the old screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. I really don't care who likes me, But I darn sure want to be respected as a man.

9. jvanvliet

I set high standards. Those that meet them get paid a little more than they can get elsewhere, those that don't; don't work for me. I treat all my employees like family, remember birthdays, anniversaries, kids, etc. Help out in financial troubles, have them over for dinners and Bar-B-Ques, etc.

I demand loyalty and refuse to be threatened. If he had a problem he should have come to me. It turns out he was trying to get a couple of the other guys to walk out at the same time (I smell UNION). They told him no because I am fair and good to them (even if I can be an a$$hole and a perfectionist). If they had all walked, they'd be sitting on the curb and they know it.

They call me Papy J... among other things :laugh:

This guy was like a son to me, too bad he got too big for his trousers.