Employee Turnover

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Jul 8, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having a horrible time trying to figure out how to keep employees. I have went through 6 new employees in 2 monthes. Is this common? Before 2 monthes ago I had never had an employee. The first one left because he threw out his back playing soft ball, the second one couldn't handle the heat, the 3rd one is still working for me. The 4th one got canned because he couldn't handle not having a cigarette throughout the day and I got tired of the whining. The 5th one got fired because I couldn't trust him.

The next person I hire will be a crew leader, I am starting to think that I am part of the problem?! People just don't seem to want to work hard without whining about it. I am starting employees out @ $8.75 an hour, which is competitive in this market.
  2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Are these hispanic employees? If not then that is part of the problem. Would you want to work for $8.75 an hour? We have an unreal amount of turnover as well, our good people stay but the "laborers" come and go.
  3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

These are all white americans....I am starting to think that this is the problem. I really hope that I can resolve this without hiring illegal hispanics.
  4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

not many people are going to want to bust their ass all day working for such little money. They know they are just making your wallet fatter. you need to offer more money or hire more hispanics
  5. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

the cost of living is much cheaper in Wichita than most other places so you have to take that into effect. You can find nice houses for 250000 or less
  6. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you can too. Don't ever hire anyone that can not provide you with their paperwork. If things go the way they are looking like they will you could be prosecuted as a felon for hiring illegal workers.
  7. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like my problem exactly. First guy this year lasted a month, second one week, third one day, and fourth three days.

The last three were from a hispanic workforce agency. The guys worked hard, but disappeared.
  8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Would YOU work hard for $8.75 an hour and face a probable 3-4 month layoff every winter?
  9. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

same here, gone thru three (legals, on books for $12per hour) first one I started at $10per hr....worked real hard for 3 wks, gave him $2hr raise, and first check after that, went on 3 day drinking binge and didn't show or call.....the next 2 lasted one check each and couldn't take the heat...one cryed he had sunburn and couldn't use the backpack blower.....also ran ad for 10 days @ $380 advertising landscape/laborer $12 an hour and didn't get one call!:
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's not really a money issue. Turnover is very high in any unskilled, entry-level job...the employee is just looking for a job to pay his/her bills really. They don't get hired thinking "Gee, I'd like to make lawn mowing my career" A few will show some real promise and aptitude for this work, when you find a keeper like that, do your best to keep them, thru better pay, benefits, etc.