1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee type ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matto, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Matto

Matto LawnSite Member

Alright guys, currently I'm working for someone else right now. He's actually a friend from school, we're both seniors. Currently I make 8 bucks and hour and hes got about 90 lawns over a two week period with majority of the lawns being weekly. Well, originally I had some money saved up and I was going to start my own business next year. But he asked me what I was going to do yesterday, and he mentioned paying me 10 bucks an hour if I came and worked with him next summer. Now, I won't work for 10 bucks an hour, but I figured I'd say 11 or somewhere around there and see what he says, which I'm sure he'll say yes. I work pretty hard, and this whole summer I haven't been late once, or called in sick or anything. So anyways, heres my dilemma, I'm not sure if I want to try my own business next summer or work for him. To be honest I really don't care working for him, sometimes hes alright and funny, but other times he can be lazy and it just pisses me off, not to mention some of the accounts he has I can't stand. And I think it would be cool to venture off and do my own thing. On the other hand, if I worked for him I'd know for sure I'd be making pretty decent money, and I could take that money I had saved for a mower and stuff and put it towards a motorcycle that I've been wanting. My problem is I'm afraid that if I do my own business, then next summer I'll only get a few accounts and then I'll have wasted all the money on the equipment and he'll have found someone else. If I were to do my own biz my goal would be at the least 10 yards a week, cause I'd like to be able to rake in atleast 1,000 a month, more if possible.

So what do you guys think? Sorry for being so long.
  2. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Try doing both....work for him and start something up for yourself.....you'll make a pile of money and then if you decide to work for yourself you can invest in some really good stuff......Or maybe you could ask him to work part time and see what you can do for yourself....Just an idea.
    Good Luck.
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Then you have already achieved it. Congratulations. You make more than that right now working for someone else and you don't have all the headaches.

The economy will teach you a quick lesson that you will need more than 1K/ month to sustain a business.

$5K month, seasonal, and you're grossing $35K or so, then take out vehicle and equipment depreciation, gas, insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc and you then maybe will eek out a $15K annual income.

Best of luck and if you do venture out stay tuned to Lawnsite.

4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really a good idea. I don't want anyone that is working for me to be doing the same type of business on the side. Big time conflict of interest. I have fired employees for doing that, and I know many others who have done the same thing. If I'm not paying what the employee needs then one of two things need to happen - either he negotiates for a raise, or he goes elsewhere if the amount that I can raise him is not enough. But I will not have someone taking work away from me on the side. Leaves all kind of holes to fill - like telling potential customers that the employee will do the work after hours or on the weekend, etc, etc. And then there is the possibility of using my equipment - BAM! No longer employed here, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Make your case to the guy you are working for - get a raise. $2.00/hr is a 20% raise in my book. Are you worth more? Does he believe you are worth more? Are you willing to work harder to get that extra $1.00 to make it $11.00 or more /hr? Even if he gets lazy and it pisses you off. Because after all, he is the boss, and he gets to make the rules.

So if that is not to your liking, it's time to get on with it, and work somewhere else, or for yourself.

Good Luck on your choices. Make them wisely.

Jerry R