1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

employee wages

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by superzguy4267, Jan 15, 2008.

1. superzguy4267

superzguy4267 LawnSite Member

i am looking to hire someone with 2-3 yrs of experience but am not really sure of what kind of wage that would warrent. What do u all normally pay someone with those credentials? my compay does about 140 properties as well as landscaping. Thoughts??
  2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I normally start my guys (with experience) out at $10 - $12 per hour, depending what their "experience" is.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I saw somewhere in a magazine that the average lawn maintenance laborer get a little over 10, and their foreman gets a little over 12. Of course this is an average and cost of living in your area needs to be considered. I usually start everyone at the very bottom $9. This is till they prove themselves, they can get a raise within the week or never its up to them. Ive come across too many workers with "experience" only to find out they were full of it or considered grandmas garden landscaping experience. You want a raise? Earn it. I can be very generous to my workers, but they have to put some effort in to get rewarded. $0.02
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Around here starting wages for mowing are $8-$9 an hour and an experienced landscaper will get a starting wage around $12 an hour.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yeaa, depends on the area.....

I have trouble hanging on to them after the winter months

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

i start them at $8 and if they work out good that week or project, then they get bumped up to $10. from there they have to really prove that they will be there everyday and are willing to learn and do a good job before they go any further.