Employee wants to borrow mower etc..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

A very good employee asked if he could borrow a 21" mower and weedeater and blower to do some lawns over the weekend that he somehow has lined up.

What do you say?

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I say you go buy a reel mower, lend that out when employees need to borrow a mower. Few hours pushing that around and I doubt they will line up anymore weekend work. If hes a good employee I would consider lending out a 21" Although it would be kind of funny if he had to go back to his customers and tell them he didnt own a mower or trimmer :eek:

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Do Not Loan Your Tools.

Ever.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If they were lawns in your service area, esp if he may have "lined them up" during working hours or is worse....now your comp.....well to put it in Trumpsters words....."You're Fired!"

5. gotgreen?

gotgreen? LawnSite Member

I am a solo but if I was in that situation I will say no. If he wants to mow on the side and you don't have a don't compete clause, he needs to do it with his own equipment.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

it depends are u a big company are u happy with what u bring in if so yes help out he will only think of u as a better man and boss if you arnt then i would say no

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

absolutely not. you have no way of knowing if they're customers poached during working hours or some other method that impacts your bottom line. and then there's the equipment wear 'n tear, and liability concerns.

note to promower:
    my neighbors love the irony that i spend the bulk of my days dealing with some form of power equipment or another, but typically mow my own lawn with a reel mower. nothing beats the sound and lack of grass juice on my bare feet. as a joke, i just bought another scott's classic that a custom paint shop owning friend of mine is going to trick out. ;)

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A one weekend deal? Probably since he's a very good employee. Every weekend? Not a chance.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ask him if u can borrow him for the weekend to work free of charge. Then lend it to him. lol

10. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Things like that can turn a good situation into something bad. Are you willing to eat the cost if something goes wrong to keep him as a good employee?

That will eventually lead to trouble. If you say yes on the first time you can surly bet that there will be a second, third, etc. Just nip it in the bud now and say Sorry No and your reasons.