Employee with no bank account

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WhohasHelios?, Mar 15, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I just hired a guy who has no bank account apparently........ He is legal to work and all that ..."He doesnt feel the need to pay someone to hold his money" Fair enough I guess, but he is planning on just going to MY branch and trying to get them to cash his paycheques right there and then.

Perhaps I am just being anal and weird, but this kind of image bothers me. I do alot of banking with that branch and would rather not have them thinking of me in a sketchy way in the least.

I cannot as far as I know legally tell him to cash them elsewhere.

Have any of you guys ever encountered this? Am I just being unreasonable? Thanks for any and all replies.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I don't know why this is, but it seems fairly common in my area. At my old job, hardly any of the workers had any sort of bank account. Mostly hispanic guys, but even a lot of the American guys were this way. One hispanic worker had $900 stolen from his wallet while out working one day. That finally convinced him of the value of a basic checking account :cry:

It was a royal PITA every payday. Either my boss or myself would go to the bank and cash 12-15 paychecks for the guys. Most of them had no cars and wouldn't be able to get to a bank in time.

3. cheehah

cheehah LawnSite Member

Yes, you are being silly. You pay him for his labor with a check. The only way he can turn that slip of paper into something that he can use to make purchases or pay his bills is to cash it. The least expensive way for him to cash it is to go to the bank on which the check is drawn. People cash checks at the same bank on which it is drawn all day long and it has no bad effect or bearing on the writer of the check whatsoever.

My wife is a CPA and sometimes when she receives a large check from a client she will verify funds on the writers account before accepting it and then dash to their bank and exchange it for a certified bank check which the writer then has no control over (Can't stop payment or bounce). Every check written is withdrawn from the account on which it is drawn. Your employee is only eliminating several steps from the process. The only way it would look bad on you is if you don't have funds available for him which you should absolutely have if you have already given the check to him. Just make sure you have properly funded your account before writing checks to anyone.

The Kimmer

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had an employee like this about 3 years. He went to my bank and they allowed him to cash it there since they knew me and I had an account there. Didn't seem as a problem to me

5. WhohasHelios?

Fair enough, I guess I am being a little unreasonable... I do realize that it is cheaper for him as well as common practice in everyday life. I guess maybe my issue is a superficial one and I shoudl get over it!!

LOL...Thanks all!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I could care less if they run to my bank and cash it...the money is removed one way or the other.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

My boss (appraiser) paid me my paycheck hand written on a company check for 2 years. Went to his bank to cash it. No problems ever (I was a contract employee). He might not be claiming the income, and think this helps. Make sure your records are straight (withholdings etc). Others dont trust banks, or dont trust direct deposit, or just like to get check in hand.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see the problem here. I have had several employees over the years that didn't have a bank acct and just went to the main branch I used and cashed their paycheck every other Friday on payday. It's not like the bank doesn't know you are a business, thus you might have employees so if you have the funds in the bank to cover the checks you why in the world would your bank think anything?

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

This guy is COLD, burrrr....
    This guy probably lacks employee motivational skills too.

I would never be too ashamed to be seen associating with any of my hard working guys. I ALWAYS take care of them...an honest day's pay for an honest day's work..

Going into YOUR branch to cash his [check] now? Why would you want him to wait? Why would this kind of image bother you? Did you mean to use the word "shady" instead of "sketchy"?

You can tell him to cash the check that you wrote him [for his earnings] elsewhere. If you told me that and I worked for you it would pis* me off. Treat people in the manner in which you want to be treated, especially employees...

Sounds like you can add the word "paranoid" in addition to weird. I mean, why would you care what the bank or the bank teller will think?

That is, of course, considering that you actually have the funds to cover it?

Maybe you are looking for a little float time and don't want to bounce a payroll check at YOUR bank...and avoid the risk of a well deserved whooping from the employee!

10. WhohasHelios?

hmmmm....hmmmm.... I meant to say sketchy. Whether or not I have the funds to cover it is irrelevant to my concern. ( I would not employ someone without being able to pay them) I know that through decent planning on my part, I am never in a position where I have to run to the bank and get angry over a three day hold on funds. I do this for my quality of life.

It just struck me as a little odd thats all. As I already said, I realize this a petty concern and one that after a few more moments of consideration is something that I am not worried about.

I did not mention anything about his work ethic nor anything about his character in the least, though I assure you your sarcasm did not go unnoticed.

And the brackets around [check] is cute, however I am Canadian and [cheque] is proper here.

-Thanks for those who actually contributed to this post and others in a positive manner. You have brought my attention to the fact that this a normal procedure and nothing to be concerned about in the least.