Employee Woes

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by mtlandservices, Aug 9, 2013.

1. mtlandservices

mtlandservices LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It is amazing how difficult it is to find good help. I have been through 6 different employees this summer. It's a shame how lazy and irresponsible people are. Running solo looks better and better every day.

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo- with my 16 yr old son.

3. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Beer and weed money, that's the motivation now days. Sad, but true.

4. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Very very true. As soon as they get a few bucks they are on a bender till they run out of money. The best is the people who say they have mower and weed whipper experience. Then they go super slow and do everything wrong

5. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hired and fired a guy in 5 hours this spring/summer. My guy now is dependable but I have found that paying a good employee well (even if its beyond the pay rate for the position) is significant.

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Finding really good help will take the right combination of wage offered, position offered, FT all year long vs essentially ft seasonal, proper interview skills, time taken to actually follow up on references given and of course training and INSPECTING WHAT YOU EXPECT. IF all that falls in place you can find a good employee or two.

7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Mostly, the good capable guys are already employed and are managers or want to run their own company...

8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

it's not just in your world guys.. it's in mine also..

9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

exactly correct.

10. minx

minx LawnSite Member

Feeling your pain... It's a nightmare.. They all want full time work, aslong as it means whichever 3 days they fancy working...