1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employees and cell phones

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PLS-Tx, Dec 8, 2007.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

What is your policy?

Do you allow employees to carry their cell phone all day, and answer it every time it rings?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

well you cant hear it when mowing, so Yeah. Not that big of a deal. Dont allow them a cell phone, and I would guess they wont like the job too much, and you know what that means.
  3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I allow them to wear them and leave them on. But, they are not to use them for personal calls while they are servicing (or supposed to be servicing) a property. They can use them during lunch or when riding in the truck between jobs. I tell them the only time they are to be used on the job is in the case of an emergency. I realize sometimes family members need to get in touch with them. But it better be important if they answer on the job.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is employees are most likely to follow the rules if the owner himself does things that way.

I don't wear mine while I'm working because I don't like the idea of accidentally destroying or losing a $100 phone, so I leave it in the truck... Now I would have no problem asking employees to leave theirs there as well, you know you can check it when the job is done, maybe on break, certainly between jobs.

A lot of my jobs take less than an hour, if a little longer, so to me driving time IS break time.
    It sounds mean but it's not, I schedule 2-3 maybe 4 yards in a row and then a bit of a drive or lunch, then 2-3 or 4 more.

I sure don't run to the phone every time it rings.
    Because all it takes is one time I get caught up on that phone, nothing gets done :laugh:

So as for emergencies, if it's that dire it's probably faster to call 911, know what I mean?
    Keep it in the truck, it's safe there.
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as landscaper22, keep it with you in case you need it, but only answer in truck or between jobs. It obviously shows the number of the incoming call, not too hard to call back when done with the job.
    I had one guy sat on a mower idling, talking to his girlfriend, I mowed the entire neighbors lawn while he sat there talking... I yelled to him a couple times, he didnt listen, then I got so pizzed I picked up an apple and chucked it at him, caught him in the back right between the shoulder blades, just about knocked the phone out of his hands, finally got his attention. That moment is when my cell phone policy went into effect.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Phone calls during lunch time only.
    I provide direct connect phones for the crews communication to me and the office yet they are not enabled to dial anything other than 911.
    Had a problem with one particular employee direct connecting other people not in my company so I check the phones in and out each day.
    This dude sure got upset when I started fining employees for misuse of the phones.
  7. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

we work p/t and the helper works with my bus. partner @ my bus. partner other place he owns. so most of the calls are from the bus. partner. so no big deal... if it becomes a problem the phone is off when on my time.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

9. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

my rule is the same as smoking, no smoking and cell phones on customer property's. they can use them to and from jobs or at lunch.
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Our policy is going to be, when you get to work turn the cell phone OFF.