1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

employees and disrespect???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Sep 25, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What is up with these young people that have no respect for their employers? I let one of my employees go today because of an attitude problem that they had. I gave them a warning about a week ago about and still today. Talking back, rolling their eyes, showing no respect and not following policy.

Have any of you ran into a major problem with this issue as well?
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

To find "what's up", you'd have to climb their family tree, first stop would be the parents.
    It has happened occasionally, and like you, they don't get a chance to stat around and cause any more grief.
    Can usually weed these out from ever getting hired in the first place with a one on one interview before they get hired.
  3. tiedeman

from earth

actually we have a three step processing in hiring

1. First review of the resume
    2. They have to answer a questionaire
    3. Finally if they answer the questions to our approval we move onto the interview phase

I thought though that they would work out great. The first 3 weeks they were hard workers and had great attitude. But then as time went on they got a big head, and didn't want to get their hands dirtly. They only wanted to do the "show work," as I call it. Basically I could tell that they were thinking, "How come the boss gets to do estimates, fertilizations, landscaping maintenance, while we are stuck with the crappy work."
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I ran 3 shops with about 80 workers when I was in the Air Force reserve. I got attitiude all the time when we were in civilian cloths. We couldn't touch em becasue they were able to HIDE behind the union. On the weekends (when they put the uniform on) it wasa whole different story!
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree with Rustic. Also, the gov't, yes the gov't, needs to take some blame. Liberalization of laws that allow children to sue parents, teachers, etc., for discipling them have created some of the problems we encounter with employees. Kids these days think that they can do what they want, that the law will protect them and take care of them. This is also reinforced by parents who agree with gov't. There is no more personal responsibility anymore.
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Have found in the past that alot of those type of problems are bought about by the supervisor. There needs to be a seperation between the supervisor and the worker. I.E. I will treat you with respect and you will treat me with respect. I am not your Dad or beer drinking buddy. I will do my job which is to enable you do accomplish your job in the most efficient, safest manner. You will do your job which is to show up on time, complete your assigned tasks, and treat customers and co-workers with respect
  7. tiedeman

from earth

I am friendly with my employees because I like to have a close team working together that gets along with everyone, which could be the problem, but I have a rule that I have never broken:

1. Never do any type of social function outside of work with an employee, whether it be go out for drinks, dinner, BBQ, etc.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

wrong grass mechanic. I concider the judiciary not to be part of the government that is central to our well being. liberal judges and the damn ACLU have done much to destroy common sense in this country.

9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen the same thing. I usually fire them, I hate a poor attitude.

The other day I asked one of my guys to do something, as I turned away, I thought of something else to tell him and quickly turned back around only to catch him flipping me the bird. LOL

The joke is on them, no mowing in the winter SEE YA
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to start another thread about American workers vs Hispanic workers, but all my men are from El Salvador and I don't have the problems you speak of. I treat them with respect and they respect me. If someone doesn't, they are gone.
    I am just saying you might want to re-evaluate who you are hiring and it may make your life easier. I'm going on 10 years in business an have seen many companies come and go, and lousy help is one of the reasons.Mike