1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee's & Bonus

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Dec 1, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Bonus at end of year? % of wage, straight sum of $100 bill?

Or give them bonus based upon season. Say mowing vs snow season. Yes, you may double up in bonus money but good guys are like gold to me
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have a set schedule for bonuses, just give them out at random. They seem to be appreciated more that way when they arent expected.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

depending on % of co. shares they have and profitt of co. that year. i think about 5k was highest bonus ever here.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

so if they choose not to invest in the company they get no bonus?
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

they get 1% automaticly after one year of employment. if they would like more, then thats is up to them to invest either time, money, or equipment.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm employed, not a employer, Last year I got $300 as a christmas bonus, as well as various random $50 bonuses throughout the year.

This year I'm getting a cash christmas bonus + a paid week off. I work for a small company, so getting something like this is a nice treat.
  7. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Bonuses should be tied directly to production. I pay my guys a percentage of sales which they split every month. Gives them a reason to get jobs done quickly. If one person on the crew isnt pulling their weight others let em know. I used to give bonuses at random when things were going well but that way doesn't motivate as well.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

They get basically a weeks pay, we treat it just like a payroll check.
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I was also thinking about the weeks pay type of deal. I figured i would average out there payroll throughout year and see where that comes in at. If it is extremely crazy I may think of something else - based up service, workmanship ect throughout the year.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We used to do the weeks pay thing but as the company grew it got to be very expensive and again the whole everyone expected it type of thing. We had a bad year in 98-99 ? Anyway couldn't afford to do business as usual, had a lot of unhappy hombres. So we went away from that, it was more like an entitlement thing than a bonus. Now I try and be at the top of the pay scale and throw a little $$ around when someone goes above and beyond no matter when it is.