employees borrowing money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

last week, he asked to borrow $100. this week, i landed 3 big jobs out of the blue. i asked him to work sunday, he said he couldn't;) . i don't know, when i was an employee, and i needed extra money, i always took any overtime they offered me. what is with these guys? but hey, at least he shows up monday thru friday, and sat if needed. ever loan your guys money? how bout, do u ever loan them money AFTER they turned down overtime?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes we have loaned money. But my guys NEVER turn down overtime. If they did I would not be so eager to help them out with loans in the future. Plus many times of not coming in when asked and he would be looking another job.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats how I base it if, they can request some money before payday, how eager and energetic they are, depenable etc. They help me, I help them.

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Close down the Bank of Bobby for good. I'm solo, but if I had employees I would never give an advance or loan. The banks and finance companies are not in the lawn care business and I'm not in the finance business.

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Hawkeye has a good point here, but i also know we dont pay our guys enough to make a "good" living in todays expensive lifestyle. I have and do advances off of thier next paycheck, but i dont loan money.

As for not working Sundays, i agree with the employee. I am a religious man personally and you will not see me about town working. If you fire him because of that he can sue your ass for not recognizing his religon. JMo

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

thats what I met, I don't do loans, just advances. It comes back to me by the next pay period.

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo person right now (my first year) I can say that I will never loan out money to an employee. You just never know he could skip town and never see him again. Call me bitter but I have had loaned money years ago and never got it back. I learned from my mistake I will never do it again. I won't even loan money to my sister.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I personally don’t ever work on Sundays but that is just me. If I had loaned the money to the employee and then asked them later to work on a Saturday and they said no, then yes I would be a little angry.

Gravely_Man

9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

in the case of loaning money, don't think I'd do it unless the employee or his family was really in an emergency situation. I may advance some of his/her pay, but it would be deducted from the next paycheck.

As far as working overtime, that's a tough call. Maybe the guy has a family function which should come first and foremost IMO, or maybe he just needs to get away from work for a day. I'm solo, but if I had employees I would expect them to bust butt for me Monday-Friday but weekends, that would be up to them. Unless rain causes a backup of the schedule, the employee would know ahead of time that in the event that happens they would be expected to work Sat. to make up for lost time. That is the nature of this business, and they need to know that.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i'll tell you what, when i worked for "the man", i sacrificed time with my family, days off, lunch breaks, and anything else i had to do to meet his deadlines. i even worked thanksgiving one year. though i never borrowed money from him, it was written in our employee handbook that he would help us financially if we needed it. as far as his religous rights and suing me, well he better explain to his lawyer, that he can't afford to pay him, and he better explain to the judge, that his religon doesn't allow him to work sundays, but it DOES allow him to miss church,say mother fkr 100 times a day, and drink excessively on sundays