1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee's can't keep their shirts on.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Here's the problem:
    I provide company shirts ( callared green embroidered tennis style ), and company logo-ed visors. It is important to me that we have a professional look. Every time I turn around my employees are taking there shirts off and waring some tank-top they had underneath or when driving between jobs going with out a shirt at all.
    It's driving me Nuts!!!!
    My solution:
    Memo describing company policy. memo to include the punishment for violating this policy.
    First violation offender will be put back in retraining status for one week at the training rate of $7.75 ( note they all make $9 after passing probation / training )
    Second offense failure to pass probation.

Your thoughts
  2. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Its hot outside....t-shirts work just fine for LCO's and people wear them. Golf shirt full of sweat is like carrying around 1-2 extra pounds of weight. Who needs a visor?! T-shirts and sunglasses work fine. There mowing grass not going to church.

IMPACT LawnSite Member

I don't tolerate it at all with my guys, and they know it. Professionalism is key to the impression your crew makes on the clients. Would you want two guys running around shirtless on the yard in front of your 600k house? Tell them the shirts stay on, period. Some guys might never comply. I'd give a warning for the first offense, and make it known that it is mandatory company policy to comply. And no tank tops either, just as bad. I only have two employees, so it's easier for me to control things like this. If you have several crews, or more than four or five employees, it may be time to draft a dress code policy, distribute it, and enforce it. Good luck.:D
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

If you spent the cash and time on the uniforms, you're just wasting your money if you don't inforce a policy some how.

I'd say definatly make the keep the shirt on. The visor, possible optional.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

inforce a policy, after a warning fire one of them. That will make a message to the others
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just purchase some tank top uniforms? Other companies do.
  7. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Exactly!!! If they like tank tops then buy tank tops.

Another thing to consider is that nobody expects the crew to look good.

They expect two things.
    1. A professional looking crew chief or company contact person. When the customer talks to someone then that person should look good.

2. A professional looking vehicle; not a broke down hunk of junk. This makes you look like you can perform the job.

As long as the crew are not interacting with anyone but themselves the customers never care. They are expected to look grubby....they are doing lawn work after all.
  8. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Mebbe you should talk to your guys. There might be a reason so many are taking them off. There are some shirts that are just not comfortable to wear after they get sweaty. Have them help you in picking out a more comfortable shirt... that they will wear.
  9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

tank tops won't cut it
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. The tank tops are rank. This is NOT a professional image. They might as well be wearing beer shirts, or something. You don't see other true professional companies wearing them. I mean TRUE professional companies. (UPS, Postal, distributers, Chemlawn, etc..
    In our business, especially, we have ALOT of exposure to the outside public. We are not hid - locked away in a warehouse somewhere, down a dead end street. The thing that was said about them riding in the trucks,..that would be one of the MOST important times to have their shirts on. It's quite simple..send them home, give them some time off, and when they get their check for only half of what they were supposed to make, they'll be thinking about it. Make sure you make a paper trail, though. Write it up, have them sign it. Each violation goes farther. 3, and they're gone. You have GOT to set an example if you want these guys to take you serious! Otherwise, they'll just play you. It's a group mentality thing right now, and the attitude is "If HE can do it, then I can do it." This should NOT BE TOLERATED! Another thing to do, is just not waste time. Call a group meeting, and explain to them...if I catch you without your shirt on at ANY course of the day while working, you will be fired - You want to to test me,... then TEST me! Give me a REASON!!!
    They will respect you. Now mind you, there will be occasion that someone MAY take theirs off to shake it out, or something.