1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

employees do they know the prices????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

for those of you that have employees, do your employees know what you are charging the customer for grass cutting? say it's you and an employee working and he says, "wow, this lawn is a tough one, how much do you charge mrs jones to cut it?" what do you say?
    "none of your business"
    make up a price to mislead him
    or are you just honest and tell him never worrying that he may be trying to gather info so he can go into biz for himself.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I would mislead then in two directions. First if i like them and needed them i would give a low price, second i would tell a higher price and see if they will try the back door.
  3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on which employee is with you. Also all of our employee's must sign no compete contract. staing that they will not solicit or go into business in your service area which is spelt out in the contract where our bounderies start and stop. For five years after leaving employment. They can also not work for another lawn and landscaping company in our service area for five years after employment. It also so legal action will be taking if any of this does happen. Now on the other hand if it is a good employee and they always to a great job and help our company grow, and would like to go into business for themselves after 3-5 years with us. We have told them we will help them start up in a different area than we service, and give them where to buy things to get the best price and best product for their money in the area. We also offered to let them use our name and franchise out into different areas around here. Sorry such a long reply.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

how many employees do you have? you're 15 right? I'm talking serious here, not kids signing a bubblegum wrapper. franchaise your name? what are you talking about? how old are you, i must have you confused with someone else. :dizzy:
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Non-compete agreements don't usually have that much power if put to the test.

You certainly can't keep someone from leaving your biz, and getting a job with someone else in the same area.
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't answer the question,
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I have attended a number of seminars given by legal professionals and they all said a non-compete agreement is not enforceable beyond 2 years. You can try to scare them with a longer term, but it could hurt you if you ever tried to actually go legal.
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I don't hide it at all. Maybe I'm nuts, but I've never had a problem. We have 8.5 x 11 card for each of our clients, it has their address, info and pricing for every service we do: fert, mow, aerate, tree/shrub spray. All there right on the card. We also use it to record services, date, who was there and start and stop time. I work my employees so hard, they all end up going back to school and becoming accountants, pharmacists and attorneys.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  9. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

why give them any info if you dont have to .If some one else is doing your bidding then you have to tell him enough to bid as you like otherwise no information is getting shared here my 2 cents!
  10. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Seems like they end up finding out most of the time anyway, doesnt matter to me. Im sure I will feel different once i get burned,but it hasnt happened yet.