1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employees doing side jobs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SLCINC, Mar 2, 2008.

SLCINC LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I know that some of my guys take on side jobs when they are out mowing. You know, when people approach them to do a one time cut and they just pocket the money. This is a big concern of mine as I do not want them to make this a habit and possibly make arrangements with some potential customers. I have tried many things to prevent these things from happening, like offering commission for new customers. However, I am sure that they get approached a lot as I used to, to do a one time cut and collect the $. My question is, what should be the punishment if you find out one of your guys has been pocketing some $. Trust is a big issue with me and I have made them aware, it takes years to build and seconds to break. How do you guys deal with this issue.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

but gps in the truck and track everything. end of story.

SLCINC LawnSite Member

I got gps, but that doesnt tell you that they are cutting a house across the street. Thats mostly when they pick up those extras, when they are cutting the house across the street
  4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire honest people, if you feel this way about this then you obviously dont trust them and if after talking to them about not doing it to you your still worried then why are you letting people work for you that you dont trust??
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

you need to track the gps and record it with a computer program every day. so you know the average to cut mr.smiths lawn is 22-28 minutes. if you see it takes the same amount of time for four weeks strait and then you see they where at the property for 45 minutes you know something was up.

SLCINC LawnSite Member

They are honest people for the most part, but I found out that they make an extra 20 bucks here and there. They are very good employees, but this is one of the issues that I am having. They are both crew leaders and have been working with me for a few years. You and I both know that hiring good dependable employees is not easy. Theres no way you can trust a new person running a crew either. Do you think that they should be fired?
  7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would give them a stern warning and then i would make an example out of the first one that i caught either lying to me or trying to make money off of my expense or my equipment. I for one could not work with someone i didnt trust. As a busines owner you just cant have this! If they lie about this who knows what else they could be doing! just my 02
  8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Did they sign a non compete?
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

First offense.....Fired on the spot
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Oxymoron! Either they are honest and very good employees, OR, they are making an extra 20 bucks here and there. Both cannot be true.